Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Version 11 - Specifying Backup Folder

This topic is 5115 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We are migrating from Version 5.5 (Server)/ 6 (Client) into Version 11. Working remarkably well so far. We even have Server 11 hosted on a Windows Virtual Machine. Not a problem so far.

However, when I go to set up the Backup Processes, I have a problem.

I specify "c:/FM Backup 1" as my folder. When Server does its backup process, it creates a time/date stamped folder under that. I can't find a way around it. ("Daily 1 AM_2010-04-19_0100" as an example.)

We have Windows Batch Files that pick up the files & move them where we need them (for 5.5).

If I can't specify the name of the exact folder, I can't pick up the files & work with them.

This is bad. I need to put the files in an exactly location & know they will be there every day (or week, or month, or whenever).

Any help will be appreciated.

Well, thank you. I figured that would be the answer.

The rest of Versions 10 & 11 just kick. Everything is better, faster or cleaner, with lots of new toys. Love it.

I knew we would get screwed somewhere. Life can't be that easy. If it was, anybody could do this job.

I can't believe they would pull this one though & not give the admins control over the folder/directory names.

I'm at a bit of a loss. I HATE doing things manually, which rather defeats the purpose of computers in the first place, but I may not have a choice.

Our word for today is: Re-engineer. Can you say Re-Engineer boys & girls? Mr. Rogers can, otherwise he will be unemployed.

Well we have back tracked & can work within these parameters.

However, if we ever wanted to schedule batch files, in Windows or Mac, to do the work, we couldn't. Not with the folder names changing like that.

All is well though. Our Accounting Department kind of likes these data stamped folders & we can kill the Windows Batch Files.

In the end, it works, which is all that matters.

Not quite done yet.

We created a shared folder on the machine we need to store the backup files. We fixed up permissions, so that FileMaker can write to the drive.

However, FileMaker does not recognize the shared/mounted drive as a valid folder.

Both machines are actually on the same virtual server, so technically, they are on the same physical machine.

Tried a direct path to the share & also mounted a drive (Z:). Both fail.

I've been snooping around & see different answers. Some say you can do this; some say not.

Did Server 10 & 11 just disable mounted drives or do I need to dig further?

This topic is 5115 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.