Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Sedlak

Mac OS - Java Update 6 crashing Filemaker

10 posts in this topic

Apple just released an update 6 for Java and I'm having a problem with Filemaker crashing as soon as you pull up a layout with Supercontainer on it.

The problem is only showing up on Mac OS 10.6 and 10.7, and nothing yet reported for PC's.

It appears that this version of Java is not compatible with Supercontainer 2.83. I've tried downgrading SC to 2.74, which has always worked in the past, but it still crashed.

The only way I can get any functionality back is to turn the applet off, thereby bypassing Java.

I'm stumped. I've searched for Java Update 5, but it seems that as soon as Apple posts a new version, the old one is gone forever.

Any help would be appreciate.

Chris

An update... I've turned off the applet, and the crashing stops.

But, while doing so, I noticed that the only SC windows that were crashing FM were the ones referencing "Files" versus the ones where I reference "RawData". It appears that it's not Java necessarily, but some portion of it that is not playing nice with SC.

Darn, I have the same problem too. Adding +noapplet to the webviewer url has fixed the crashing issue, but at the sake of loosing essential functionality. Hurry up and release a fix please apple!

The issue you are experiencing is due to a bug in the latest version of Java released by apple. We have already reported the bugs. In the mean time, all java applets (such as SuperContainer) will cause FileMaker to crash. We have released an update to SuperContainer to automatically disable the java applet on mac clients. You will not be able to use java applets in FileMaker on mac until apple releases a fix for these issues, unfortunately.

You can download the latest version of SuperContainer from http://360works.com/supercontainer/.

Thanks for the update David.

I had SuperContainer version 2.83 running and it was still crashing.

I ended up creating a user-based variable that lets me disable applets when someone tells me they have a problem.

2.831 contains the fix. Make sure that you update your server, and not just the plugins on your client. The server update is what fixes the issue.

Okay. Will do.

Is there a way to automate the server-side plugin like the client side?

You need to update your SuperContainer server, not the plugin installed on your filemaker server. The SuperContainer server itself is what will automatically disable the java applet once you upgrade to 2.831. Make sure you either run the installer to update to the latest version if you have SC installed as part of FMS or run the latest version using supercontainerserver.jar.

Curious, since I would rather not do this work around. And being IT for a small business that has spent mucho money on getting this database to where it is. I don't think the owners or our production people, to lose this java functionality. That being said, I have found downgrading java to be a very difficult task to do, so my option is to just reinstall an OS and update everything but JAVA. Now we have it set up for password protect for updates. But there are senior people that can bypass and although emails are sent out, still it is happening.

Longstory short,

I am way to busy to continue researching downgrading JAVA, so I think since the options are pretty bad, leaving java to never use filemaker again, disable applet, then what was the point of super container?

So if anyone has a quick link to a java downgrade steps? Also I think 360 should supply information to people who ask about it, since your software is crashing filemaker.

Thank you.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• [ANN] Productive Computing, Inc. Releases Vessel Service Solutions (VSS) v2
      By Productive Computing, Inc.
      San Diego, CA - April 12, 2016 - Productive Computing, Inc., a Platinum member of the FileMaker Business Alliance, is proud to announce the release of Vessel Service Solutions (VSS) version 2. This vertical solution was designed for the marine assistance industry and operates as a virtual command center to manage vessel assistance orders. VSS version 2 offers additional features and modules, a completely redesigned UI, and improved processes for users.  

What is VSS?
      VSS was built with a “paperless and efficient” philosophy and allows users to fully digitalize the entire tow order process from beginning to end. As soon as distress calls are received, dispatchers have the ability to send mobile orders straight from the office to in-field captains. The captain receives the order on an iPad and, after assisting the boater, updates and submits the order to dispatch for final processing. VSS also allows invoices and items to be pushed directly to QuickBooks via the FM Books Connector. 

What's New? 
      VSS version 1 provided companies with a customizable framework they could employ to achieve a paperless solution. Version 2 has been crafted with industry input and takes the entire tow order process to the next level by offering the user a truly comprehensive solution. Dispatch can send, receive, and submit orders for payment without printing a single document. Using FileMaker Go, captains can receive, update, and send orders from their iPads. They can even perform data entry while at sea without an internet connection. Version 2 has expanded functionality to allow users to maintain fuel logs, maintenance logs, maintenance schedules, time sheets, and pull various reports.

As with most FileMaker products, this solution allows for customization, including the ability to personalize all terms, disclaimers, notes and signature requirements, company information, tower ID, and company logo in the modules.  

"We're quite excited about the new and improved VSS, because this dynamic solution enables users to efficiently and digitally dispatch, track, and manage tow orders, eliminating the need for time-consuming paperwork, resulting in improved accuracy and turnaround time. We've had a lot of support from industry leaders, and we're pleased to be delivering something we think will continue to greatly help the boat towing industry" - Marc Larochelle, Chief Executive Officer, Productive Computing, Inc. 

For more information please visit www.vesselservicesolutions.com. Have additional questions? Contact sales@productivecomputing.com or 760-510-1200. 

FileMaker Pro Support and Plug-in Integration:
      Do you have database enhancements you would like to have programmed?  Want help getting a plug-in professionally installed into your FileMaker solution?  We can help! The process is easy - complete our online Request For Quote form (RFQ) or call us directly at (760) 510-1200 and one of our certified developers can work with you on improving your solution today.

About Productive Computing, Inc.
      Since 1996, Productive Computing, Inc. has been helping its customers become more efficient and profitable by implementing custom software solutions using FileMaker Pro. Utilizing FileMaker Pro as a rapid application development tool, their certified FileMaker developers can create custom applications that a business can run on their Windows or Macintosh desktop computers, in a web browser, on an iPad or iPhone or shared simultaneously on all of these platforms.

Productive Computing, Inc. also produces several off-the-shelf productivity solutions such as Core4 CRM, Music Director Pro, and Vessel Service Solutions, as well as a suite of FileMaker Pro plug-ins that allow FileMaker Pro to integrate with third party applications including Outlook, QuickBooks, Apple's Address Book and Calendar, PDF forms, digital signatures, and biometric fingerprint scanners.

In addition to building custom and off-the-shelf FileMaker Pro solutions and plug-ins, Productive Computing, Inc. is a full service FileMaker Pro hosting company. FileMaker hosting services allow customers to host their own FileMaker Pro solutions on Productive Computing servers in the cloud instead of purchasing and supporting the necessary server infrastructure themselves. These same servers also provide the infrastructure for customers who would prefer to subscribe to Productive Computing's Core4 CRM and Vessel Service Solutions products under a SaaS (Software as a Service) pricing model.

Productive Computing, Inc. is one of only a few companies in the United States to have earned the highly respected platinum level membership within the FileMaker Business Alliance and recently won the exclusive FileMaker Business Alliance "Partner of the Year" award.

Productive Computing, Inc.
      950 Boardwalk, Suite 205
      San Marcos, CA 92078
      www.ProductiveComputing.com
      sales@productivecomputing.com
      (760) 510-1200

Press Contacts:
      Productive Computing, Inc.
      Keith Larochelle
      (760) 510-1200

# # #
      ---------------------------------------------------
    • Problem installing SC Companion Plugin with FM Server 14
      By kathylin
      I can install SuperContainer 2.93 for my FM Server 14 running on OSX Mavericks, and got it running fine. However I am not sure how to install the Companion Plugin.
      I copied the SuperContainer Companion Plugin 2.93 into different folders
      /Library/Filemaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/cwpc/Plugins /Library/Filemaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/wpc/Plugins /Library/Filemaker Server/Database Server/Extensions but I still get an error message when I start the SuperContainer Example.fmp12 file saying that the SuperContainer Companion plugin is not installed.
      I did restart FM. Tried rebooting the osx machine, and restarted FM Server and SuperContainer. Would appreciate some help!!
    • Multi Machine Deployment
      By Arjun
      Hi everyone,
      I am new here. I just began working with a project that has been using FileMaker Server 9 and Pro 9. The current architecture uses one machine deployment but the machine is quite ancient and doesn't support any micro-frameworks that eases my web development duties.

I wanted to split this architecture to a multi machine deployment this ancient machine having only the Database, another better machine having a webserver and/or a web publishing engine. The reasoning behind this being that I can use a webserver(Gunicorn + Flask) and use PyFileMaker to obtain my data from the DB using XML.

I, however, realize that the web publishing engine is required at the database to publish my XML data which in turn requires a web server running(apache). This goes back to the same one machine deployment.
      Am I missing a point here?

Thank you so much for taking your time to read this. It would be truly awesome if you could help me with this question.
      Thank you once again and have a good day.

Regards,
      Arjun
    • Wanted - Programmer for work on existing vertical market applications
      By John Kamm
      We are an established vertical market application developer in need of additional programming assistance for the web portion of our solution. We customize each of our FileMaker and companion web site solutions to meet the needs of our clients. The web site architecture is based on a YII MVC design. Programmer should have knowledge of FileMaker PHP API, PHP, HTML, YII (or other MVC), Tortoise SVN and basic Windows server configuration. Ongoing work would be available, all work is remote to our development servers.
    • [ANN] FileMaker Training classes in Montreal and Ottawa
      By lazp
      Direct Impact, world-renowned for its certified FileMaker® developers, is pleased to announce its spring 2016 FileMaker 14 training schedule.

Our certified FileMaker trainers have the experience and skills to offer you quality, French training, for the market in Quebec and English training, for the market in Ontario. Take advantage of this unique opportunity to be trained in the company of an expert of the FileMaker platform.
      Next training classes will be held on the following dates:
      FileMaker Training classes in Montreal (in French)
      Initiation à FileMaker 14 débutant - 4 avril 2016
      Développeur FileMaker 14 intermédiaire - 18 et 19 avril 2016
      Développeur FileMaker 14 avancé - 9 et 10 mai 2016
      FileMaker Training classes in Ottawa (in English)
      Introduction To FileMaker 14 Beginner - To be determined
      Developer FileMaker 14 Intermediate - To be determined
      Developer FileMaker 14 Advanced - To be determined

Sign-up now