Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Sedlak

Mac OS - Java Update 6 crashing Filemaker

10 posts in this topic

Apple just released an update 6 for Java and I'm having a problem with Filemaker crashing as soon as you pull up a layout with Supercontainer on it.

The problem is only showing up on Mac OS 10.6 and 10.7, and nothing yet reported for PC's.

It appears that this version of Java is not compatible with Supercontainer 2.83. I've tried downgrading SC to 2.74, which has always worked in the past, but it still crashed.

The only way I can get any functionality back is to turn the applet off, thereby bypassing Java.

I'm stumped. I've searched for Java Update 5, but it seems that as soon as Apple posts a new version, the old one is gone forever.

Any help would be appreciate.

Chris

An update... I've turned off the applet, and the crashing stops.

But, while doing so, I noticed that the only SC windows that were crashing FM were the ones referencing "Files" versus the ones where I reference "RawData". It appears that it's not Java necessarily, but some portion of it that is not playing nice with SC.

Darn, I have the same problem too. Adding +noapplet to the webviewer url has fixed the crashing issue, but at the sake of loosing essential functionality. Hurry up and release a fix please apple!

The issue you are experiencing is due to a bug in the latest version of Java released by apple. We have already reported the bugs. In the mean time, all java applets (such as SuperContainer) will cause FileMaker to crash. We have released an update to SuperContainer to automatically disable the java applet on mac clients. You will not be able to use java applets in FileMaker on mac until apple releases a fix for these issues, unfortunately.

You can download the latest version of SuperContainer from http://360works.com/supercontainer/.

Thanks for the update David.

I had SuperContainer version 2.83 running and it was still crashing.

I ended up creating a user-based variable that lets me disable applets when someone tells me they have a problem.

2.831 contains the fix. Make sure that you update your server, and not just the plugins on your client. The server update is what fixes the issue.

Okay. Will do.

Is there a way to automate the server-side plugin like the client side?

You need to update your SuperContainer server, not the plugin installed on your filemaker server. The SuperContainer server itself is what will automatically disable the java applet once you upgrade to 2.831. Make sure you either run the installer to update to the latest version if you have SC installed as part of FMS or run the latest version using supercontainerserver.jar.

Curious, since I would rather not do this work around. And being IT for a small business that has spent mucho money on getting this database to where it is. I don't think the owners or our production people, to lose this java functionality. That being said, I have found downgrading java to be a very difficult task to do, so my option is to just reinstall an OS and update everything but JAVA. Now we have it set up for password protect for updates. But there are senior people that can bypass and although emails are sent out, still it is happening.

Longstory short,

I am way to busy to continue researching downgrading JAVA, so I think since the options are pretty bad, leaving java to never use filemaker again, disable applet, then what was the point of super container?

So if anyone has a quick link to a java downgrade steps? Also I think 360 should supply information to people who ask about it, since your software is crashing filemaker.

Thank you.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By NewBoard
      I am designing a database for the inspection sheets used in our quality lab. Each of our parts has a different number of criteria that they need to be inspected for. This ranges anywhere from 5-15 dimensional requirements. I am wondering if there is anyway in FileMaker to display a varying number of both editable and uneditable fields. So for instance if somebody pulls an inspection sheet for a part with 6 different dimensional requirements, FileMaker will only show 6 uneditable fields describing the dimensions in question, and 6 editable fields for the user to type in their measurement. Then, if somebody pulls an inspection sheet with 10 dimensional requirements, it will display 10 instead.
      Thank you for any assistance you all can offer!
    • By Richard Fincher
      Hi all,

I recently upgraded my Filemaker Server 13 to Filemaker Server 14.
      To get the new version to install, I had to downgrade my Java8 from u113 to u67 (separately installing the old Java version, not allowing the FMS installer to install Java itself).  I also had to fiddle around to make sure it was running the httpd which comes with FMS and not the one bundled with Mac OS X El Capitan.
      My question is, am I now save to upgrade Java back to the latest version.  I'm not anticipating needing to install FMS14 anytime soon, but does the "Deployment" part of FMS use Java, and if so, is it similar fussy about which version?
    • By Keawe
      Hello,
      I installed supercontainer on my Windows server at aws Amazon. I also installed the companion plug-in. It shows up on Filemaker Pro no problem. But it doesn't show on webdirect. Any idea?
      Here is my configuration:
      - FMS 15, Windows 2016 server. 
      - SuperContainer 2.94, build 9234.
      - I have the companion plugin put inside "..\FileMaker Server\Web Publishing\publishing-engine\cwpc\Plugins".
      - The plug-in I use is "SuperContainer_Companion_Plugin.fmx64".
      Thanks.
      P.S.: I will send an email to 360works. But just want to post it here so we can all share the solution. Thanks.
    • By Andreas T.
      I need some help in determining if I am missing something crucial here or if there is a limitation or bug in the function BE_ApplyXSLT from the BaseElements plugin. I am using version 3.3.4 (which is the latest) on Mac OS X 10.11.6 using FileMaker 15 Adv. and 16 Adv.
      I am unable to get any output from the transformation, nor any error.
      According to the documentation, the command shall return either 0 when successful or an error. Link
      In my testing it only returns blank, and gives no error even when no output file is generated. It should not return blank in cany case according to the docs. (I suspect there may be a documentation error and that it actually returns blank when there is no error.)
      No error is found using Get(LastError). BE_GetLastError returns 0.
      The function format is this:
      BE_ApplyXSLT ( xmlPath ; xslt ; outputPath ) Here are the input parameters I have used:
      BE_ApplyXSLT (      "/var/folders/y6/1yf76qcs5y91h_w4j27hxp980000gp/T/S10.2/ABC_nota_108.xml" ;      BE_ReadTextFromFile ( "/var/folders/y6/1yf76qcs5y91h_w4j27hxp980000gp/T/S10.2/HTMLvisning/Stylesheet_Full.xsl" );     "/var/folders/y6/1yf76qcs5y91h_w4j27hxp980000gp/T/S10.2/output.html" ) I have verified that the files exist and that both the XML and XSLT are valid. All files are in UTF-8. I can transform the XML with this XSLT using other
      methods without errors. I have also tried having the XSLT in a variable.
      As I understand it, BaseElements uses the libxml2 engine. I have tried doing the transform from the command line directly and it works as it should:
      xsltproc -o /var/folders/y6/1yf76qcs5y91h_w4j27hxp980000gp/T/S10.2/output.html /var/folders/y6/1yf76qcs5y91h_w4j27hxp980000gp/T/S10.2/HTMLvisning/Stylesheet_Full.xsl /var/folders/y6/1yf76qcs5y91h_w4j27hxp980000gp/T/S10.2/ABC_nota_108.xml It also works fine using the XMLLib OSAX in AppleScript. Unfortunately, I need Windows support also so I would like to get the BaseElements function to work.
      I hope somone can shed some light on what may be going on.
    • By LelandLong
      I read that the new 3.01 version does not require Java.
      When I run FMPAv16 on my Mac (10.11.6) and use the sample Email database it works just fine and I see nothing related to Java. I had the older v2.12 plugin installed on here and have just updated to v3.01 today.
      When I run FMPAv16 on a different Mac (10.11.6) and install the v3.01 plugin (never had the plugin installed on this machine before today) and run the sample database a Java App runs without any windows, Just visible in the lower right dock and its single menu is titled "Java"
      Any ideas as to this oddity?

Leland Long