Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Sedlak

Mac OS - Java Update 6 crashing Filemaker

10 posts in this topic

Apple just released an update 6 for Java and I'm having a problem with Filemaker crashing as soon as you pull up a layout with Supercontainer on it.

The problem is only showing up on Mac OS 10.6 and 10.7, and nothing yet reported for PC's.

It appears that this version of Java is not compatible with Supercontainer 2.83. I've tried downgrading SC to 2.74, which has always worked in the past, but it still crashed.

The only way I can get any functionality back is to turn the applet off, thereby bypassing Java.

I'm stumped. I've searched for Java Update 5, but it seems that as soon as Apple posts a new version, the old one is gone forever.

Any help would be appreciate.

Chris

An update... I've turned off the applet, and the crashing stops.

But, while doing so, I noticed that the only SC windows that were crashing FM were the ones referencing "Files" versus the ones where I reference "RawData". It appears that it's not Java necessarily, but some portion of it that is not playing nice with SC.

Darn, I have the same problem too. Adding +noapplet to the webviewer url has fixed the crashing issue, but at the sake of loosing essential functionality. Hurry up and release a fix please apple!

The issue you are experiencing is due to a bug in the latest version of Java released by apple. We have already reported the bugs. In the mean time, all java applets (such as SuperContainer) will cause FileMaker to crash. We have released an update to SuperContainer to automatically disable the java applet on mac clients. You will not be able to use java applets in FileMaker on mac until apple releases a fix for these issues, unfortunately.

You can download the latest version of SuperContainer from http://360works.com/supercontainer/.

Thanks for the update David.

I had SuperContainer version 2.83 running and it was still crashing.

I ended up creating a user-based variable that lets me disable applets when someone tells me they have a problem.

2.831 contains the fix. Make sure that you update your server, and not just the plugins on your client. The server update is what fixes the issue.

Okay. Will do.

Is there a way to automate the server-side plugin like the client side?

You need to update your SuperContainer server, not the plugin installed on your filemaker server. The SuperContainer server itself is what will automatically disable the java applet once you upgrade to 2.831. Make sure you either run the installer to update to the latest version if you have SC installed as part of FMS or run the latest version using supercontainerserver.jar.

Thank you.

Curious, since I would rather not do this work around. And being IT for a small business that has spent mucho money on getting this database to where it is. I don't think the owners or our production people, to lose this java functionality. That being said, I have found downgrading java to be a very difficult task to do, so my option is to just reinstall an OS and update everything but JAVA. Now we have it set up for password protect for updates. But there are senior people that can bypass and although emails are sent out, still it is happening.

Longstory short,

I am way to busy to continue researching downgrading JAVA, so I think since the options are pretty bad, leaving java to never use filemaker again, disable applet, then what was the point of super container?

So if anyone has a quick link to a java downgrade steps? Also I think 360 should supply information to people who ask about it, since your software is crashing filemaker.

Thank you.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Error Starting Java with FileMaker 14
      By Paul Turnbull
      When launching FMPA 14 with Scribe 2.15 installed (also occurred with 2.091) I get the error:
      However it is installed. Java 8 had been been previously installed as well but has been removed from the system. The error persists.
      FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.04 (32-bit) Scribe 2.15 Mac OS X 10.11.2 java version "1.6.0_65" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-468-11M4833) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-468, mixed mode) We also tried two clean installs of FileMaker on new machines and are unable to replicate the error. I even installed Java 8 and the error did not occur. 

• [ANN] FileMaker Training classes in Montreal and Ottawa
      By lazp
      Direct Impact, world-renowned for its certified FileMaker® developers, is pleased to announce its winter 2016 FileMaker 14 training schedule.

Our certified FileMaker trainers have the experience and skills to offer you quality, French training, for the market in Quebec and English training, for the market in Ontario. Take advantage of this unique opportunity to be trained in the company of an expert of the FileMaker platform.

Next training classes will be held on the following dates:

FileMaker Training classes in Montreal (in French)

Initiation à FileMaker 14 débutant - 8 février 2016
      Développeur FileMaker 14 intermédiaire - 22 et 23 février 2016

Développeur FileMaker 14 avancé - 7 et 8 mars 2016

FileMaker Training classes in Ottawa (in English)

Introduction To FileMaker 14 Beginner - To be determined

Developer FileMaker 14 Intermediate - To be determined

Developer FileMaker 14 Advanced - To be determined
      Sign-up now
    • [ANN] Courez la chance de gagner une COPIE GRATUITE de FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced
      By lazp
      Courez la chance de gagner une COPIE GRATUITE de ‎FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced d’une valeur de 670.00 $ en vous inscrivant à notre formation Développeur 14 avancé qui aura lieu à Montréal le 7 et 8 décembre prochain. Inscrivez-vous ici http://formationfilemaker.ca

• [PR] 24U released 24U Toolbox Plug-In 2.0
      By HOnza
      [FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE]
      24U released 24U Toolbox Plug-In 2.0
      The 24U's ''swiss army knife'' for FileMaker developers is now rock stable and fully compatible with FileMaker Pro 14
      Prague, CZ -- November 4, 2015
      24U Software announces the version 2.0 of 24U Toolbox Plug-In, toolbox of the most useful calculation functions for daily use. The new version have been rewritten to be fully compatible with FileMaker Pro 14 and stable on FileMaker Server even when being used from several simultaneous threads.

Version 2.0 brings:
       - Full 64-bit support for FileMaker Pro
       - Improved stability on server
       - Better registration interface

24U Toolbox Plug-In 2.0's 64-bit support was focused and tested not only on FileMaker Server, but also on FileMaker Pro 14 and FileMaker Pro Advanced 14. Now is fully compatible in both 32-bit and 64-bit modes.
      The latest version of the plug-in works reliably with FileMaker Server when the same plug-in is accessed from multiple threads and sessions simultaneously and provides more ways to register the plug-in, and to find out whether the plug-in is registered even without user's interaction.

About 24U Toolbox Plug-In
      24U Toolbox Plug-In is a robust FileMaker Pro plug-in which allows FileMaker Pro databases to:
      - Execute FileMaker or System shell scripts to automate tasks inside/outside of FileMaker Pro
      - Execute SQL commands to develop faster and keep your solution clean
      - Match & replace regular expressions to find & replace text fast using patterns
      - Merge data values into text while maintaining styling to quickly and easily apply templates
      - Lookup DNS name for IP & vice versa to find out who is connecting from where
      - Get current public IP to know more about clients and discover potential security attacks
      - Define global keyboard shortcuts to avoid unnecessarily excessive use of script triggers
      - Obtain precise microsecond timestamps to measure nearly unmeasurable chunks of time
      - Get the type of a FileMaker variable to let your scripts make the right decisions
      - Share variables between databases to avoid creating too many external data sources

Important update for 24U FM Bench users
      24U Toolbox Plug-In is an essential element of the 24U FM Bench optimization tool. Upgrading to version 2.0, thanks to its improved stability, can be beneficial to all FM Bench users who use the tool to benchmark, troubleshoot, and optimize server-side scripts and web-enabled solutions.

Use 24U Toolbox Plug-In to add a completely new dimension to your server-side data processing

Server-side scripts can be efficiently used with FileMaker Server for nightly batch data imports and processing. The powerful features of 24U Toolbox Plug-In let you make this processing much faster and more powerful by being able to use system-level scripts, access your data with SQL queries, merging fields and variables into text, etc.
      HOnza Koudelka, Software Division Manager of 24U, says: ''24U Toolbox Plug-In is designed to help FileMaker developers in their daily work by providing a solid toolbox of the most commonly needed simple but powerful functions. This Plug-In makes a lot of functions easier and it is also a key component of 24U FM Bench, our popular tool for optimizing FileMaker solutions.''

System Requirements and Compatibility
      The plug-in is fully compatible with FileMaker Pro 11, 12, 13 and 14, and with FileMaker Server 12, 13 and 14.
      Recommended configuration:
      - Mac OS X: Any Intel Mac, 4 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite, FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced and FileMaker Server 13 or newer
      - Windows: 1.6 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 or newer, FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced and FileMaker Server 13 or newer
      Minimum requirements:
      - Mac OS X: Macintosh, 2 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, FileMaker Pro 12 and FileMaker Server 12 or newer
      - Windows: 1 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, Windows Vista, FileMaker Pro 12 and FileMaker Server 12 or newer

Availability and Pricing
      24U Toolbox Plug-In is available as a shareware. User can install 24U Toolbox Plug-In, and try it out for the period of 14 days free of charge. After this period, 24U Toolbox Plug-In can stop working and require a registration code. User will get this code after he pays for a license.
      Licenses for 24U Toolbox Plug-In start at US$49 per user and US$499 per server.
      Existing customers can upgrade to the new version at 50 % off the regular prices if placing order within 14 days upon release, and 30 % off if buying later.
      Customers who have bought 24U Toolbox Plug-In within the last 30 days before the release of the new version are eligible for free upgrade.
      Optional Premium Support and Implementation services are available with the purchase of 24U Toolbox Plug-In 2.0.

More info: http://www.24uSoftware.com/Toolbox
      Download: http://www.24uSoftware.com/Toolbox#download
      Buy: http://www.24uSoftware.com/Toolbox#buy

About 24U Software
      24U is a key vendor of plug-ins for FileMaker Pro and a producer of FM Bench, the tool for auditing and optimizing FileMaker solutions. We unveiled the Marvelous Optimization Formula and teach how to efficiently optimize performance of your solution and processes by focusing on real bottlenecks. Optimizing your performance... Inventing unique iOS applications... Helping organizations to get more out of their technologies... Dedicated to creating the easiest to use FileMaker plug-ins... We connect the dare of education with the experience of industry to achieve the impossible.

Customer contact:
      HOnza Koudelka
      Software Division Manager, 24U s.r.o.
      sales@24usoftware.com
      http://www.24usoftware.com
      Press Contact:
      pr@24uSoftware.com
      ###
      (c)2015 24U s.r.o. All rights reserved. 24U, 24U Software, and FM Bench are trademarks of 24U s.r.o. FileMaker is a trademark of FileMaker, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Pricing and availability are subject to change without notice.
    • Java error on EmailSend
      By Rwintner
      I am running Windows 10, FMP Advanced 14 with the 360Works Email plugin version 2.14 64-bit installed and registered (I have a license).
      I am able to connect, successfully build a message, but it won't send. I get this error most of the time (from EmailLastError): "java.lang.NullPointerException" and on a few occasions I got a simple "EOF".
      I made sure that I am using a valid Port and that I have appended it to the SMTP server name with a colon.
      I checked and I have the most up to date version of Java running.
      I'm totally stumped. I used this plug-in with good results in my FMP Adv 13 solutions.
      Anyone?