ExecuteSQL as custom function?

This topic is 3924 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have been acquiring my user information via ExecuteSQL so I don't have to attach the Staff table everywhere in the universe.  I write the same sql statement over and over so I thought I might store it somewhere for easy access since its perspective never changes.  Maybe a custom function?

Do others think this is a bad idea or how do you store some of these queries that you reuse over and over or do you just make yourself memorize them?

99% of my queries are very simple.  I wish I could figure how to take those pieces and write a generic statement where I can insert those pieces, as script parameter or calc parameter.  Example of what I have to write over and over to use in script is similar to:

ExecuteSQL (
"SELECT ID
FROM Staff
WHERE accountName=?" 
; "" ; "" ; Session::accountName
)

Or does my wish to make it easier mean I'm just lazy?   BTW my first test when I created a custom function seemed to work but just because something works doesn't mean it's right to do so that is why I am asking those with extensive experience what THEY would do.  Thank you!

Hi John!  Thank you for responding!

That would work and I do that for the ID - poor example above.  But there are other values and the only difference is the final field - the 'where equal to'

So if I want the User's hire date no matter where I was in system, I could use cf similar to:

FindUserID ( whereAs )

same as above except I could change the whereAS to the final parameter referencing the correct table/field which in above example is:  Session::AccountName.

I would load globals with this information but there can be 1,000 users and probably 25 fields so I didn't want to load that all to global variables.  So this would be to find the UserID then I could have another cf to find their other info.  Maybe I could even figure how to replac the other two parts.  This would be only for simple stuff and only the user table.

Why not load all their information into one global variable and then you can always parse out that info since you should only ever have one row returned.

ExecuteSQL (
"SELECT 
      ID,
      firstname,
      lastname,
      title,
      date_hire
FROM 
      Staff
WHERE 
      accountName = ?" 

; "¶" ; "" ; Session::accountName
)

Then you can use GetValue ( ) to parse out specific information.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

David,

First off I would suggest you adopt a standard in your SQL that is immune to field renaming.  While it would make your SQL calcs  bit more complex, I have found that the extra work is well worth getting to take advantage FileMaker's renaming capabilities.   I have even gone through old solutions and reworked all the SQL to conform to the standard.

Here is the format I use, which was developed by the folks over at www.fmstandards.org.  Note that there are a few custom functions

https://github.com/jbante/FileMaker-Techniques/blob/master/CustomFunctions/SQL/SQLTableName.fmfn?source=cc

https://github.com/jbante/FileMaker-Techniques/blob/master/CustomFunctions/SQL/SQLFieldName.fmfn?source=c

http://www.fmfunctions.com/fid/335

Let ( [ 

sql = "
SELECT ~field
FROM t1.~table1
JOIN t2.~table2
ON t1.~field = t2.~field
WHERE ~field = ?
ORDER BY ~field
";

$sqlQuery = Substitute ( sql ;
[ "~table1" ; SQLTableName ( Table1::fieldName ) ];
[ "~table2" ; SQLTableName ( Table2::fieldName ) ];
[ "~field" ; SQLFieldName ( Table1::fieldName ) ]
) ;

$sqlResult = SQLDebugResult ( ExecuteSQL ( 
$sqlQuery ; "" ; "" ;
$value ;
$value[2] ;
$value[$n]
)
)
];

If ( $sqlResult = "?" ; False ; True )

)

Darren Burgess

This topic is 3924 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.