Charting Multiple Tables On Scatter Graph

laguna92651

This topic is 2793 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am capturing financial information for 5 companies (probably not more than 5 companies would be needed), that are related to each account in the database. Each account in the database would have a different 5 companies associated with it. I want to graph specific data of all 5 companies and the account on a single scatter chart. I am having problems getting the chart to show more than one companies set of data. I currently have a table for each of the 5 companies, would I be better off to have all of the financial data in one table? If I went with separate tables for each company, what is the best approach to create the scatter graph showing the 5 companies plus the account on the chart? Example of data to be entered, AT and ROS are the elements to be charted.

ROA.PNG

Taking data from different data sets to combine for a single chart.... not able to be done directly in FM charting (although I'm happy to be proven wrong).

Two approaches - use a temp table to store the date from each place into the one place, and chart from that, or the VirtualList approach - https://filemakerhacks.com/2014/05/17/virtual-list-charts-part-2/

2 hours ago, laguna92651 said:

I currently have a table for each of the 5 companies

Do these tables have the same fields? If yes, they should be one. Then you won't you have this problem (and a multitude of others that you just haven't run into yet).

Edited by comment

I would want each company series for; Year 1, Year 2, Year 3, to be a different color, so if I used one table I would need 6 sets of Sales (Sales 1, Sales 2, Sales 3...), 6 sets of Net Income etc. to have control of he series markers, correct?

5 hours ago, webko said:

Taking data from different data sets to combine for a single chart.... not able to be done directly in FM charting (although I'm happy to be proven wrong).

It depends on what you mean by "directly". A chart can be based on return-delimited data - and there are several ways you could combine different data sets into a single return-delimited list "directly" in a calculation within the chart setup, for example by concatenating several List() and/or ExecuteSQL() function calls.

Edited by comment

Got the scatter charts I wanted using multiple tables and return delimited data (using List function). What would be the best way to filter the financial data in the scatter chart by year and/or company? Show only certain companies, hide/show a data series. Show only data for certain years.

This topic is 2793 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.