fp7 extension not working with Filemaker Go

This topic is 2762 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a file that was originally created in FM 6...it was then modified in FM 9, and is now running under FM 11 Advanced. This file always carys the .fp7 extension. My users all have FM 11. I have installed Filemaker Go on their iPads, and want to have them access the file using Dropbox and Filemaker Go. My problem is that Filemaker Go will not recognize the .fp7 extension. I tried just changing the extension to .fp12, but that does not work. How can I get the extension to change?

First, If I upgrade the file to FMP 14, won't I then have to upgrade my users too. That means buying multiple copies of FMP 14, and is a problem because my users are volunteers at a Non-Prof.

Second, there is no Filemaker Go 11 app available...at least on my iPad only Filemaker Go 13, 14 and 15 are available in the app store.

Suggestions please.

FileMaker only supports the current version and the 2 previous versions - you won't find FM Go 11 anymore in the App Store....

If you need to use FMGo, then the systems will have to be upgraded to use a more modern version (as the file structures changed for FM12)

If their needs are more modest, a CWP application tuned for use on mobile devices may work for your users, and not require a system upgrade.

On 8/26/2016 at 2:58 PM, John Chamberlain said:

I tried just changing the extension to .fp12, but that does not work.

filemaker 12 extension is .fmp12

OK...I have obtained the FMP 14 upgrade and have converted several FMP files; these files now show the .fmp 12 extension.

I have uploaded these files to Dropbox, and they do appear there along with an Excel file and a Word file that were already there.

Using my iPad, I can open the Excel and Word files from the Dropbox. The FMP files show in the Dropbox window, but I cannot open them but when I select them I get a "No preview available" message with a notation that "This type file can't be viewed".

Suggestions, please.

Edited by John Chamberlain

I am afraid you will need to rethink your entire deployment plan. I am not sure how exactly you had this set up until now. I am quite sure you cannot use Dropbox to serve your Filemaker solution. If you try to do that using FM Pro clients, you will very likely end up with a corrupted file. If you try to do that using FM Go clients, nothing will happen, because:

There are two ways to work with a FileMaker Pro file on your iOS device:

• Transfer and work with a file on a local device
  • Connect to a hosted file

You can connect to files that are hosted in FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server and are shared over a Wi-Fi or mobile data network. 

http://www.filemaker.com/help/14/fmg/en/connect_db.html

From Dropbox on your iPad, you can COPY the file to FMgo. Note that it will not sync back to dropbox (which is good as Dropbox is a good way to get a corrupted FM file--as Comment suggested). Here's what you can do:

When you see the no preview available screen, tap the three dots at the top of the screen and choose export. Then, choose open in from the bottom row of the share sheet (it has a grey App Store logo). From there, you can choose FMgo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This topic is 2762 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.