Subtract Percentages

This topic is 2818 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a field called Profit % that is calculated using If ( price = 0 ; -100 ; ( 1 - ( cost_price/ price ) ) * 100 )

which of course displays a percentage. What I would like to do is make another field called Discount with a dropdown value list of say 0,10,15,20,25 etc...that will subtract whatever percentage is selected in the dropdown from the Profit % field and display the results in another field called Final Profit.

What is the calculation to subtract the percentage chosen in the dropdown field called Discount from the percentage shown in the Profit % field and display that in another field  called Final Profit?

Attached is a screen cap of what I'm trying to do.I have 4 fields. cost Price which is the client's cost, Price which is the selling price...the dropdown that is a member of a value list called discount percentage and then finally just a field called Profit.

What I would like to be able to do is allow the user to select a percentage from the dropdown menu and have the profit field calculate the dollars of profit. Which I assume would be something like... Price - cost price - discount percentage = profit

However I can't get the dropdown to actually subtract a percentage?

Precentage-Calculation.jpg

12 hours ago, OneStop said:

What is the calculation to subtract the percentage chosen in the dropdown field called Discount from the percentage shown in the Profit % field and display that in another field  called Final Profit?

Calculation do not display in other fields. Make Final Profit a calculation field and use the formula =

Profit % - Discount

I misspoke in my earlier post. I don't need Percentage Profit calculated....what I would like to do is have the Discount dropdown subtract a percentage from the Price field and show the Final Profit number?

My Discount dropdown is a member of a value list with the percentages listed in the Value List. At the moment...the Profit field is a calculation of Price - Discount Percentage but it's only subtracting the amount not the percentage...for instance:

If the price is 1230.00 and I select 30% in the dropdown it's showing the Profit as 1200.00 instead of 861.00

Ok, once again i figured out what I needed to do based on your example. I turned my Discount dropdown into a number field as part of a value list with 0, .1, .15, .20, .25, 30 as the values... then I modified the appearance to be a percentage. 

Then I modified my profit field to use your calculation   "price * ( 1 - discount select ) - cost_price"

No selecting the 10% 20% 30% in the dropdown  shows the proper profit numbers. 

Thank you so very much. I've learned a great deal from your help.

This topic is 2818 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.