Hey,

I want to use the same header on all my layouts in FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced but I can't seem to find a way to accomplish it. I read on Google and other forums that there is no way to do it, however the posts I found are all at least a year or two old. Did they add a way to do it in FileMaker 15 or do I still need to duplicate a layout to get the same header on a different one?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Edited by 123

Hi Mike,

Yep, there's no way to do that currently, nor will there be in v16 afaik.

Why do you want to have one header across all layouts? For a menu?

• Like 1

Hey,

yeah I don't want the default FileMaker menu (that you use to create new records etc) to show up in the final product. I made a navigation bar or menu that lets you create new records, perform finds, switch layouts and so on. I guess I will have to duplicate the layout I have right now and then edit it for all my other layouts.

Thanks for the quick response,

Mike

Edited by 123
  • Like 1

Custom Menus?

Accounts and Privileges? 

Except that the custom menu doesn't give the visual 'Wow' that we're often looking for. More and more apps (non FileMaker apps) have only a hamburger menu and don't show the old style menu at all. Which allows a much more pleasing UI. Unfortunately, FM doesn't allow any styling of the menu nor can it be captured into a hamburger style menu.

Not sure how Accounts and Privileges fits into this?

Can you post a screenshot of what you are wanting to get ride of?

On 3/26/2017 at 6:35 AM, 123 said:

I made a navigation bar or menu that lets you create new records, perform finds, switch layouts and so on. I guess I will have to duplicate the layout I have right now and then edit it for all my other layouts.

This is what I'm looking for as well... a left "Menu Bar" type item that the users can switch layouts quickly and easily, that I can include in all my layouts. I've been googling as well but haven't found what I'm looking for. I'm brand new to Filemaker and it's a big learning curve for me.

I'd also love to see a screen shot of what you are trying to do.

Is there a way to have a layout split into two... so that the left area holds a menu type item, and then the right area holds the meat of the program?

I'm so new I don't even know the correct terms. :)

Thanks!

Could you have one layout that has your left panel nav pane, and then open windows in front and to the right of it?

Hey,

I don't know if people here are still looking for an easy way but I simply ended up putting "Top Navigation" parts on all my layouts (Layouts -> Part Setup). Every "Top Navigation" part has the same buttons on it on all my layouts and by clicking them you can navigate to all the other layouts. This simulates a static navigation bar that always stays in place, even if you scroll. I don't know if that's the way you are supposed to use it but it's really easy and works perfectly,

Best regards,

Mike

Thanks, that is pretty much what I've been doing.

Cynthia

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gismo12
      Hi All,
      I need to copy one field only from one layout (+- 200 records) and past all those records from that field into another layout.
      I have tried a few commands but does not produce the required result.
      Please could you advise on a script?
    • By V!ncent
      Hi there,
      I have a topic that can take the chosen value in a vertical radio buttons list.
      But some values in this list have a description so long that it can not be displayed on one line. So I need a "return to line" in the list of radio buttons. (see attached photo)
      How to do ?
      Thank you for your wise advice.
      V!ncent

• By docasar
      Hi,
      I find my self hitting the wall, again and again, trying to make a POST call to an API using Insert from URL curl. When I try the code in POSTMAN it works very well, but trying to translate the curl options into Filemaker is where I fail. This is my POSTMAN code:
      curl -X POST \
        https://www.correosexpress.com/wpsc/apiRestSeguimientoEnvios/rest/seguimientoEnvios \
        -H 'user: username:passowrd' \
        -H 'Content-Type: application/xml' \
        -H 'Postman-Token: ff84b952-74c8-f06b-976d-f860d9d66de7' \
        -d '<?xml version='\''1.0'\'' encoding='\''UTF-8'\''?><SeguimientoEnviosRequest xmlns:xsi='\''http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'\'' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation='\''SeguimientoEnviosRequest.xsd'\''><Solicitante>x</Solicitante><Dato>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</Dato> </SeguimientoEnviosRequest>'
      The yellow part is what I should put under "Body" and after in "raw" in POSTMAN and it is just that the one I can not figure out how to put it as a curl option for the Insert from URL... :(. I pass authorisation using username and password, but I get all the time the same error of missing "XML entry template" 
      Any idea on how to overcome this error? is the XML entry template the headers that this api needs to have them custom?
      Thanks a lot!!!
    • By Bentley
      I'm working on a database right now that handles general accounting information for a department of a university.  My current layout looks like this:

Where the left section has buttons to take you to the different layouts and look at various different tables, and the middle column is a scrollable portal to look at all of the jobs.  On the right hand side for the "employees" section, I was able to fit all of an employee's data in that space, so it worked, but each job has significantly more data associated with it and doesn't fit in that space, so I was wondering if there is a way to make that section scrollable, but looking at the same record (i.e. The job description would be at the top, and then some info on what materials and labor have been billed to that job, and then be able to scroll down and have another section with contact info for employees assigned to that job, etc.).  From what I've been looking around at for solutions it looks like this is impossible, but I'm hoping that maybe there's someone out there that's more creative than me!  I thought about making the whole layout taller and then somehow locking the left columns into position while scrolling so that they would be fixed in the viewport, but I couldn't find a way to do that.  Thanks guys!
    • By wedgeman
      Am a bit lost on what (I think) should be a quite simple script:
      Field 1 has a value list on layout.
      Field 2 is a general text field for typed data entry..
      My goal is to use Field 1 to trigger/manage a script which does severla things, but then leaves the mouse/selector inserted into Field 2, for ease of use...

So...
      When I select an item in that value list, an OnObjectExit triggered script: 
      sets a variable from that, then clears that field inserts a calculated value (based on the variable created) in another field.  Then it SHOULD "go to Field 2"... as in, after the script is done, the cursor should be inserted into Field 2 with a blinking cursor... My problem is, this isn't working.
      the first two parts are working flawlessly - it creates and acts on variables, as it should..
      But it refuses to 'go to field' (or "go to object", if i try it that way)..
      What's happening instead is this: the script runs, but the selector/mouse jumps on forward to the next object (if that object is in a tab order), or (if NOT in a tab order), it goes nowhere (it operates the script, but dies before setting mouse to the field or object).....
      I also tried OnObjectModify and OnObjectSave.... No dice on either.....The mouse simply refuses to "go to field"....
      additionally, i tried triggering ANOTHER script (which works on its own) - - simply "go to field 2".. but even that doesn't work..
      thoughts?

My guess is that the script (as an OnObjectExit trigger) runs, then FMP assumes that after the script ends, the next object should be selected (rather than ending wherever I told it to end)...

anybody?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.