Virtual List in a Portal but not using SQL

Rich S

This topic is 2554 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm stuck, and I apologize if this is the wrong forum but I'm not exactly sure where this post should go. :S )

I had a nifty way of viewing enabled records* and being able to sort them a portal Dates, Actions, and Companies or records using a virtual list using ExecuteSQL commands in a script. But, now that runtimes are going bye-bye, I have re-code my solution from scratch to work in FileMaker Go...which doesn't support Execute SQL. I'm sure there's a native workaround in FileMaker to accomplish the same thing but after searching high and low on the Web, I can't find an example file that would solve my problem.

A little background:

The JOB table, where the data resides, has three different date fields for each record:: ClosesDate, InterviewDate, and FollowupDate; each record may have any permutation of those three or none of them. So, a head scratcher is how to list potentially three different dates from the same record.

If someone could steer me in the right direction I'd GREATLY appreciate it!

*In the current setup, there's a checkbox for each date so when clicked/enabled, that date (with its accompany action) would appear in the portal.

Edited by WF7A
Deleted image--not necesary

Very curious and unsupported conclusions.

Among them; perhaps understandably; failing to distinguish between ExecuteSQL; and Execute SQL.

Indeed, you are correct, and all for want of a word space: I suffered a complete brain hernia between Execute (space) SQL and ExecuteSQL. I apologize for my stupidity.

Edited by WF7A

In addition, there seems to be some confusion about runtime deprecation and what that actually means.

It is still there now; it will still be there in the next version. At some unspecified point, even further down the road; it may in fact finally disappear.

16 hours ago, WF7A said:

But, now that runtimes are going bye-bye, I have re-code my solution from scratch to work in FileMaker Go..

That is a very weird logical jump that is being made here.

As Bruce mentioned; runtimes are still here and will be available for a while.  But runtimes don't work on iOS and Go only works on iOS so I don't get the jump

no Runtime -> must use Go

From what I heard and read--and it may be way off the mark so I can't vouch for its veracity--v16 of FileMaker Pro won't have the function to create runtimes.

Up until that announcement, the product that I'm working on was built specifically to run as a runtime. Looking years down the road, runtime support will fade away which would leave our customers in the lurch. (An argument can be made that we could just hang onto v15 for runtime creation until it's no longer usable but that doesn't make the investor comfortable.)

However... (and there's always a "however")

Migrating to FM Go may not be a bad thing since our target demographic (primarily college students) has changed its buying habits: many colleges are requiring an iPad (specifically) for coursework so students are more apt to buy those instead of a Mac or PC...though I disagree with colleges in that requirement since tablets are media consumption devices, not production devices, so they're doing their students a disservice in that respect.

...but that's the subject of whole 'nother thread not in keeping with this site.

Edited by WF7A

3 hours ago, WF7A said:

our target demographic (primarily college students) has changed its buying habits: many colleges are requiring an iPad (specifically)

An iPad or a tablet?   The majority of the college students that I see don't use iPhones and iPads but Android devices.  Can't service those with FM Go...

That's true about FM Go not being "Android-friendly", but the faculty I consult with specifically stipulate iPads for a handful of reasons:

• Argumentatively, they're easier to master than Android devices.*
  • If a professor or instructor already owns an iPad, they gear their coursework around it since that's what they already know.
  • Fewer Help Desk-related issues/requests. With every college/university I.T. department I've spoken with, they all report fewer calls/visits with Apple devices compared to Android and PC ones...which is amusing to hear from some of the techs who admittedly don't like Apple products but begrudgingly admit they require fewer service calls.
  • As for the iPads' higher cost, a workaround is to have faculty require an iPad to be used in their course(s); that way, for those students receiving financial aid, it's covered as a required course material so it's paid for by the grant or scholarship.
  • Of course, there's the Apple eco-system and Apple Store availability for students who need help/product...at least in metropolitan areas. 

*What surprises me that in this age of computers, tablets, and smartphones, how many students have great difficulty operating them.

Edited by WF7A

This topic is 2554 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.