Portals, related records on a Slide Panel

This topic is 2509 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello Forum.  I thought this would be easy, but maybe it's not possible, practical, or recommended.

I basically have 3 tables related

Customers--->Equipment--->Service (which is service on each piece of equipment.

I thought I could do the following

On a Customer layout, I have a customer info on the left, and 2/3 on the right a slide panel.  The panels are other related tables with portals-Deliveries, Interactions, Equipment.

On the Equipment Slide Panel, I thought I could make a large 1 row portal (on the top) with all the Equipment attributes (looks like a regular layout), and a multi row portal on the bottom with all the Service info for that piece of equipment.

Then, as I use a button to go to the next portal row in Equipment, the Service portal would change to show the related records.

Many variations of relationships and TO's did not work for me.  I can provide more detail and post a file if someone thinks it a workable solution.  

Thanks

Steve

layout.png

1 hour ago, Steve Martino said:

I thought I could make a large 1 row portal (on the top) with all the Equipment attributes

I don't understand your description.  A customer has many pieces of equipment - so which one of these should the one-row portal show? And what exactly is "the next portal row in Equipment" you speak of? A one-row portal does not have a next row.

If I understand the general purpose here, you need to select a specific EquipmentID and store it in a global field or variable. Then you can use this either to filter the portals to Equipment and to Services (provided the number of related records is not too large), or as the matchfield to be used in auxiliary relationships to new occurrences of the Equipment and Services tables.

Thanks again :) for responding.

Your understanding is exactly correct.

The one row portal is probably not the right descriptions.  It's showing one row.  The < > arrows in the portal switch it to the next portal row.  Unfortunately it appears I have to allow scrolling, which isn't what I wanted.

Plan 2 was to put the exact same copy on different slide panels.  Each successive panel would look identical, but the equipment portal would only show 1 portal row-increasing the portal row number by one (showing the second related equipment record).  But I was unable to get the lower (Service portal related to that Equipment) record to change.  I think my problem, which you pointed out, was trying to do either option off of the same relationship, and not grabbing the ID in a variable.

I think you put me on the correct path.

Thanks for your guidance.  

Steve

The < > arrows in the portal switch it to the next portal row.

Is this a good idea? I think that as a user I would prefer to select from a multi-row portal (or at least from a pop-up/drop-down), rather than navigate blindly to the next/previous item.

Unfortunately it appears I have to allow scrolling,

I don't see why. If you really want this, just set the filtering variable/field to the next/previous EquipmentID in the list of related equipment IDs.

Each successive panel would look identical, but the equipment portal would only show 1 portal row-increasing the portal row number by one

That is most certainly not a good idea. Slide panels are designed to divide the layout's real estate to various areas of interest, not to show individual records.There is no way to dynamically adjust the number of panels to the number of related records.

On 6/7/2017 at 6:24 AM, comment said:

That is most certainly not a good idea. Slide panels are designed to divide the layout's real estate to various areas of interest, not to show individual records.There is no way to dynamically adjust the number of panels to the number of related records.

its true yesterday i made portal into slide panel entire layout disturbed with awkward results within in my portal , didnt understand what happened , did what max i can do for few hours then decided to remove the portal from slide panel now everything became fine , donno whats happening better to stay for they are designed

Edited by Dr.Gopala krishnam raju AMBATI

9 hours ago, Dr.Gopala krishnam raju AMBATI said:

i made portal into slide panel entire layout disturbed with awkward results

There is nothing wrong with placing a portal inside a slide panel. If you experienced "awkward results", you must have done something else to cause them.

9 hours ago, Dr.Gopala krishnam raju AMBATI said:

didnt understand what happened  ... donno whats happening

Right. Which is why this is not helping anyone.

On 6/9/2017 at 6:37 PM, comment said:

There is nothing wrong with placing a portal inside a slide panel. If you experienced "awkward results", you must have done something else to cause them.

Right. Which is why this is not helping anyone.

same wording i guess few years ago u said same thing , though i was < beginner in filemaker usage ur words changed my entire database i had to think logically to drag data from multiple tables , now i made fabulous medical solutions made my life so simple my consultations are running on clicks so fast :)

This topic is 2509 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.