Server Maintenance This Week. ×

find current record

This topic is 2374 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi!

Writing a script to try to find the current record I am browsing and getting a little stuck. This is what I have

59f2181586bd5_ScreenShot2017-10-26at1_14_33PM.png.e3f8fc94dafafccaeeb7e9955b8c33d1.png

I think that I just need something after the semicolon in "Set Field By Name"

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.  The record you are looking at is the current record.  Are you scrolling a list view and want to return to a highlighted record?  Or a master/detail set up where you click on a portal 'master' and want to see the record in the 'detail'?  Please provide more details.

To answer your specific question, you wouldn't use Set Field By Name, but Set Field.  First capture the Id in a variable, then set the proper field to that variable, then Perform Find.

• Newbies

Sorry for the confusion.

My end goal is to Import a specific field into another database - Database B. In that database I have this script written (below) which involves calling the script (posted above) from my original database - Database A:

59f22135a22ef_ScreenShot2017-10-26at1_53_07PM.png.e394afb1d02665b951dc1d13f53982c6.png

The goal is to first perform a find on a specific field in Database A, which would be the current record, copy that find and import it into the corresponding field in Database B

Does that make sense?

Hi tkroeker and welcome to the FM forms,

Please read the Private Message about completing your profile.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are wanting export and import a record from one file to the another. A caution first here, it sounds like you're going to be duplicating data information. This is not good, you can probably accomplish in a different way than exporting and importing.

If it is for some other reason, then you may be looking at this backwards.  In other words, Instead of exporting the record(s), you will want to import them into the other FileMaker file.

In preparation for the import, go to into n Manage Databases and change the View by: option to be the same in both files. (i.e. Sort by, Fields Names, Custom Order, etc.), This Will help to facilitates the lining up of the fields in both databases.

Next, Isolate the record or records, based on how many records are being exported. For a single record import, the easiest way to do that is to show all records, and then omit the current record. If it's the current found set you're ready to import. 

Open the other file, import the records.

You'll  find a lot of information about how do things in FileMaker's help. Here's the link to importing records. http://www.filemaker.com/help/15/fmp/en/#search/Import records

HTH,

Lee

This topic is 2374 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.