Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Dictionary User.upr is read only (macOS 10.12.6)

ken_s2007

This topic is 1381 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When I attempt to 'learn' a word, "Learn" is greyed out. The dictionary I have selected is: /Applications/FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced/Extensions/Dictionaries/User.upr . When I attempt to edit that dictionary, I get: "The User Dictionary file is Read Only." The permissions are:

-rwxrwxr-x   1 root  wheel       47 Jun 14 12:16 User.upr

FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced, 16.0.3.302

I compared the permissions on the files in Dictionaries with a colleague's (he has the same version of FM), and they are identical, however he is able to Learn a word and edit his dictionary. I also can't create a new dictionary in that folder. I checked permissions on each directory, and nothing appears to be wrong.

drwxrwxr-x+ 170 root  admin   5780 Dec  4 09:52 Applications

drwxrwxr-x   10 root   wheel      340 Oct 13 09:47 FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced

drwxrwxr-x    6 root  wheel     204 May 28  2017 Extensions
drwxrwxr-x  17 root  wheel  578 Dec  4 13:37 Dictionaries

I ran repair disk permissions with Disk Utility.

Edited by ken_s2007

• 2 years later...

Oh. I got grumpy enough to ‘solve’ it…

I copied the “User.upr” dictionary file from Applications -> FileMaker Pro 18 Advanced -> Extensions -> Dictionaries to my Documents Folder.

I then went back to my opened copy of FileMaker and selected Edit -> Spelling -> Select Dictionaries. With the “Use Main Dictionary and User Spelling Dictionary” bullet selected; I punched the “Select…” button to select the copied “User.upr” dictionary file in my Documents Folder.

Once completed I was able to add/change user-entered words. Geez.

• 4 months later...
  • Newbies

nice one, thanks

though quite stupid by filemaker to not put a user dictionary as read and write or in the users library/application support folder....   which is where I put my writeable copy

and fyi I tried to make the user dictionary file in the original position read and write but that failed...   (didnt go terminal just used the finders info box so maybe thats just not enough...

This topic is 1381 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.