Server Maintenance This Week. ×

What is deprecated about FX.php?

This topic is 2261 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Dear forum: What is deprecated about FX.php? I read in the topic that FX.php is deprecated.

as far as I am concerned FX.php is up to date for FileMaker 16 and php 7.

Edited by ggt667

Deprecated means they are not actively developing for it. It will likely work as long as XML and PHP continue to function in FM. 

At some point in the future, it will be removed from the product and will no longer function, or at least not be supported. 

The Data API will likely replace it. 

• 2 weeks later...

REST/JSON and SOAP/XML are just 2 parallell technologies; I don't see one being newer or older than the other by any significance.

REST/JSON booming due to its easily parsing in front end is not a reason for dropping SOAP/XML for data transport.

And we all saw at DevCon what actively developing for means when it comes to REST/JSON; they are doing a minimum REST-like implementation; not an RFC implementation thereof. And as pr that definition FileMaker itself is deprecated.

Seeing that both FMI/XMLRESULT and FMI/DATA will benefit from gzip compression in an nginx-like reverse proxy also removes the "size" argument.

Edited by ggt667

We must have seen 2 different things. Your approach to the conversation may have had an impact. Talking with the engineers and James Qui, they have much larger plans than just what they showed during the NDA portion of the presentation. They were fairly open about what they are trying to do. And the fact that FMI has allocated significant development resources to continuing to build the Data API and it's capabilities.

With that said, I don't disagree. In the industry I work in, most vendors and clients are all still working with XML. There is some adoption of JSON/REST. But in all cases, they support both technologies.

I see XML for integrations and data interchange with more complex structures( due to the built in validation ); and JSON for simpler data interchange such as user interfaces and signaling.

Both are good for each their purpose.

In the case of FileMaker PATCH will take recid and modid into consideration; while PUT will overwrite recid blindly.

And if FileMaker Inc should ever read this a REST API should at least implement the following verbs/methods:

1 GET

The GET method is used to retrieve information from the given server using a given URI. Requests using GET should only retrieve data and should have no other effect on the data.

2 HEAD

Same as GET, but transfers the status line and header section only.

3 POST

A POST request is used to send data to the server, for example, customer information, file upload, etc. using HTML forms.

4 PUT

Replaces all current representations of the target resource with the uploaded content in full.

5 PATCH

Amends the current representations of the target resource with the uploaded content. Note this is typically used for editing a subset of a record when changing as an example the name of a contact record; leaving the remainder of the fields untouched.

6 DELETE

Removes all current representations of the target resource given by a URI.

7 CONNECT

Establishes a tunnel to the server identified by a given URI.

8 OPTIONS

Describes the communication options for the target resource.

9 TRACE

Performs a message loop-back test along the path to the target resource.

Edited by ggt667

This topic is 2261 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.