Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Custom Value List Help

Gabriel G

This topic is 2259 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all,

I have created this sample solution to demonstrate a technique that I'm trying to implement using custom value lists.

I was able to fix my first issue, but the way it was fixed is bothering me a little.  Because it seems like too much overhead to have a non-global/non-calculation field serving the same purpose as one.  This version actually uses two extra fields whereas the first was using one field.

Maybe I am over reacting and this will not cause any issues and is a fine alternative, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else had any thoughts, ideas or suggestions on this before I move forward?

My original problem shown with version 1:

The CVL seems to work okay.  With one exception, namely, if there are no dates set for a specific model group, then NONE of the those items are listed for selection.  It shows "<no values deinfed>".  I'm sure it has to do with the way I have the relationship setup, but I have no ideas as to how to fix this.

This is a minor issue because it is not very often that a new model group will be created, and I can have instructions to set the first date manually.

A few details about the solution design:

Basically, there are multiple (or in this solution, four) "stages" (designated by the tab sections) where common data is updated together.  Most of the time, it involves multiple records at once.  Which is where this custom value list comes in and only shows values where the date for each stage has not yet been set (or completed).

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks, GG

CVL-log.fmp12

Hi Ocean,

This is great.  Using portals like this never crossed my mind.  I have a lot to learn.

I had some doubts about using the value lists.  The portals work nicely here, and they don't rely on any special fields.  This is what I was looking for.

Thank you for sharing and taking the time to demonstrate this!

GG

This topic is 2259 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.