Progress Bar / Wait Card Window

MikeKD

This topic is 2240 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Folks,

I've just moved my database to a server. It works fine, but it's slower and a couple of the scripts now take enough time that I could do with putting up a wait / progress bar.

The issue is that the scripts dive into other layouts to create records in other tables. Am I right in thinking that I can't use a Card Window and then change layout behind it? (I haven't actually used Card Windows before...)

I suspect that this isn't an unusual thing to do - what are the standard tricks?

Many thanks all!

Best wishes,

Mike

The problem with any FileMaker progress bar that shows actual real-time progress is that it has to interrupt whatever process is going on to refresh/update the progress bar.

I would suggest a simple layout with some "please stand by..." wording for a start. If that turns out to be insufficient you can pursue more elaborate methods.

A card window would work well for this, as long as that's the window that your script is using for the process.

The free Base Elements plugin has a progress bar included that works pretty well. You start it prior to what ever lengthy job you're running, then update the progress bar in between and close it afterwards.

A card window would work well for this, as long as that's the window that your script is using for the process.

That's the issue - the script has to go to other layouts so I think that means I can't use Card Windows for this job?

I suppose I could just use a different Layout with a "hold on" type message and freeze it..

I'll try to get that bit right first and then look into whether a progress bar using a gif, plugin or updating variables is needed or feasible.

Cheers!

Yo can use a simple code in a webviewer to do this. You'll have to feed it where the bar should be at certain lines of your script. It works nicely. 

Alternatively you can use a button bar to do this now: https://www.soliantconsulting.com/blog/filemaker-button-bar-as-progress-indicator

There's this: http://www.modularfilemaker.org/module/prbr-progress-bar/

There is also this: http://www.filemakerprogurus.com/filemaker-16-progress-bar/

Cheers!

It's worth taking a look at the suggestions above, but do keep in mind the first sentence of my previous post.

One thing you can do in a webviewer is grab a 'spinner' or 'barber pole' animation from www.ajaxload.info or wherever and then the user will get their eye candy and you don't have to keep interrupting your script to update the progress.

It's worth taking a look at the suggestions above, but do keep in mind the first sentence of my previous post.

Yes indeed.

TBH, for me, the first step is to get my head round the pros and cons of card windows.

It would be handy for me to see which script steps were taking the time; but that's a secondary concern at the moment. As you say; I really just need a "wait - stop hitting buttons!" message!

This topic is 2240 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.