Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Creating UserId & Password Online

This topic is 8257 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm trying to create an online mailing database in which users can enter and update their information. Its easy enough to create a new record and let them enter information. Its another issue for users to create their own password (their login is their email address). Can anyone point me in the right direction? At this point I'm trying to do this purely in FMP.

Thanks!

Have a field in the database that is the password field. Then have them input their password into that password field each time they create a new record (or you can do it with fmp-cookie), then you could have a logon page which the user come onto and enters in their username and password (which actually does a find in Filemaker for their record/s).

You must be aware that if you let the client determine their own password you can have multiple records using the same password. Similarly, the client's username can represent multiple records (Paul Simon - a song writer, a Senator, an economist - all different people). What if two Paul Simon's are clients and they both choose the password peace? How do you tell them apart?

You can generate a random. unique "password" which may be nothing but a bunch of characters.

I use scripts to handle this kind of thing. Of course, there are many problems with using scripts since ScriptMaker is single-threaded and the web allows for multiple, near-simultaneous requests which play havoc on data. Unless you are planning to devote several months of your time to developing a successful work-around to the script problem, you would be best to avoid using any of the cdml -script tags (and thus not use ScriptMaker scripts).

You can use the Random function to generate password, but it will be hard to remember.

Or you can use "account ID" serial number and password. This way all users can have the same password if they are silly enough :-)

You do not need scripts. I wrote several FM web applications and I do not need single script for any functionality.

For complex evaluations use calc fields.

Actually, have the unique validation on the password field, that way users cannot take a password that has already been chosen, but if you are doing a find on the username AND password, then it is perfectly fine if the password is repeated. I created a message board system useing nothing but FileMaker and CDML. It can be done.

This topic is 8257 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.