Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Need a simple find script where field contains x

This topic is 2200 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Friends:

I've been searching but not finding how to do a simple find script to attach to a button as follows:

Show all the records (so we know we are searching the whole database) then Find all the records where the field "products" contains the text  "film"

Thanks in advance for your help,

Migs

Hi Migs,

You don't need to Find All records first. Find begins its process searching all records.

So, simply enter find mode and enter "film" in your products field. Then, click Perform Find.

To script it "Find":

Set error capture on

Enter Find Mode (pause)

//user enters criteria

Perform Find

//error capture here..do what you want if no records found. Show a custom dialog...find all...

Hi bcooney.  I'm most grateful for your answer, but I wish it to be a script that I will call from a button.  I don't want that interactive search because it implies typing the search text over and over again.  So if I have a button that is labeled "Find all records with film" (in the field named "products") it would be better.

Thanks for your help

Migs

Slightly different.   

Set Error Capture [On]

Enter Find Mode [ ] //no pause

Set Field [YourTable::Products; "film"]

Perform Find [ ] 

I wouldn't label a button "Find all records with film", instead I would make it a global search field, dropdown, attached to a value list.  Then the user can select from a number of different values to do searches.  That would be the first upgrade.  But more info would be needed.

The more advanced upgrade would be a small full search card window that would give the user multiple ways to search the database, by words, dates, etc.

But more to your original post, a user should have enough FileMaker basics to be able to:  Ctrl+F (to enter find mode), type 'film' into the proper field and hit Return to perform a find.

Hi Steve

Thank you very much for your help.

In the Set Field step I can only get as far as 

Set Field [YourTable::Products]

But I can't figure out how to add         ;"film"      into the the equation.

Any ideas?

Gratefully

Migs

This topic is 2200 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.