Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Syntax to swap repetition values (A[1] = B[2])

This topic is 2190 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just have a quick syntax question. I have two tables, Contacts and Work. In Contacts, I keep name and email information. In Work, I keep records of projects, where sometimes 4 or more people are involved. Contacts::Name is related to Work::Name. I have a portal in Work displaying email addresses.

Work::Name is a repeating field, and the Work::(Contacts::Email) portal is also repeating. For whatever reason, the Email keeps displaying mail in reverse. As such, I want to make Work::NameSwap, in which I reverse the order of the entries, as I need a quick fix for now while I work out the real problem. For that, I just need NameSwap[1] to have the same value as Name[2]. Currently, NameSwap is defined as a calculation field, in which NameSwap[1] = Name[2] & NameSwap[2] = Name[1]. This is not working, and I'm having problems searching for this answer across FMForums and the main page. Hopefully this is an elementary question, but after fussing with a number of iterations, I can't get anything to work with the repetitions. I can define the field itself to be Name[1] or Name[2], but I can't swap the order of the values. Using Name just results in a duplicate field. I need the result to be a single field (hence 2 repetitions), otherwise I can't get any result to display (having Work::NameA and NameB <-> Contacts::Name gives no value for the portals). Advice?

Quick edit: Yes, the calculation result is set to be stored as Text.

Edited by Hoytopher

Hi Hoytopher,

I'm having a hard time following your naming convention. 

3 hours ago, Hoytopher said:

Work::Name is a repeating field, and the Work::(Contacts::Email) portal is also repeating

NameSwap[1] = Name[2] & NameSwap[2] = Name[1].

Are these the real names?

If you haven't already read the Anatomy of a Good Topic, please read it now. You will find that it contains information on how to post a question that should help you achieve the fastest responses to your question. 

Why not attach your files, see "Step 8, on how to do this and protect you confidential information.

Lee

This topic is 2190 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.