Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Temp folder issue (Scribe and Scriptmaster)

This topic is 1945 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,
Since I switched from FM16 to FM17, I have had problems with Scribe and ScripMaster plug-ins...
(I have downloaded the latest versions available on the site.)

The first problem was crash of plug-ins, same problem as here :

I downloaded the beta version of scribe proposed in this topic, since the plug-ins are stable.

But another problem appears, the temporary folder keeps getting bigger and bigger...
Yesterday I noticed that I had more than 400 copies of the plug-ins in this folder (more than 48GB!).
So I stopped FM services yesterday, delete all element in temp folder, and restart...

This morning I have copies accumulating again, (pls see attached picture)

Can you help me? 

Sans nom-1.png

Hi Christofer,

Due to the nature of Windows file locking, the plugin needs to make a copy of itself in order to initialize. Typically the Temp location should be cleared on machine restart but perhaps that is not happening on your machine for some reason. I spoke to our framework developer about this yesterday and he said he made a change in development that will delete the file in the Temp location as part of the shut down process for the plugin. I will check with him today to see if he can provide some builds of ScriptMaster and Scribe that have this change. Once I have new builds available I will post download links in this thread. 

Hi Christofer,

You can download the builds here. Please keep in mind that these are beta builds so if you run into any issues with them please let us know by sending an email to [email protected] . I have confirmed that the files in the Temp folder do get deleted once the plugin shuts down. 

Hello, 
I have a problem with the scribe's plug-ins,

When i run and modify .xlsx from a windows folder, the step's script Scribedocsavefile("") don't work properly

i do :
- ScribeDocLoad( "//192.168.x.x/forder/file.xlsx") //return 1
- Write values.... //return 1 each scribe's step
- ScribeDocSaveFile ("") //return file:/C:/Users/CHRIST~1/AppData/Local/Temp/file.xlsx

When i run this script on local machine, the file "//192.168.x.x/forder/file.xlsx" is modified, all is good.
When i run this script remote from server, the file "//192.168.x.x/forder/file.xlsx" is not modified, (but the file in temp folder is modified).

when i was on FMserver 16, with previous version of scribe, all scribe's script worked fine 😕

Thanks for your help !

Edited by Christofer

Hi Christofer, 

I'm not quite sure I understand what the issue is. Scribe does not modify the file you are loading with ScribeDocLoad (I usually refer to it as a template). Rather, it creates a copy of the template in memory, modifies it depending on your function calls, and then when ScribeDocSave is called, it saves the modified copy to the location you specify. So if you are loading a file a from //192.168.x.x/forder/file.xlsx and then calling ScribeDocSave("") this saves a copy to the temp directory, in this case file:/C:/Users/CHRIST~1/AppData/Local/Temp/file.xlsx .  I would not expect the file at //192.168.x.x/forder/file.xlsx to contain the modifications.  This is expected and normal behavior because typically users will modify the same template over and over. If I am not following what you are reporting can you please clarify?

Sorry for my english, i will try to clarify

#1 Since few years,
i start with ScribeDocLoad("//192.168.x.x/forder1/file1.xlsx ") and end with Scribedocsavefile("//192.168.x.x/forde2r/file2.xlsx")
without problem.

#2 Since few months (maybe after an update, i don't remember exactly sorry) all off my scribe's scripts were broken.
 I've
 found a solution with this modifications 
Copy.File from 
//192.168.x.x/forder1/file1.xlsx  to //192.168.x.x/forde2r/file2.xlsx and
ScribeDocLoad("//192.168.x.x/forder2/file2.xlsx ") and end with Scribedocsavefile("") 
without problem.

Now the script #2 doesn't work on FMserver (But the script #2 still works on local machine)
So i had tried to do 
 ScribeDocLoad("//192.168.x.x/forder2/file2.xlsx ") and end with Scribedocsavefile("//192.168.x.x/forde2r/file2.xlsx")
On the local machine, Scribe Crash, i need to kill filemaker and  JAVA process
On the FMserver, Scribe Crash, I need to reboot totaly the server.

i hope that you can understand :)

My research is progressing. I uninstalled and re-installed all the components. The behaviour you describe works.

However, the ScribeDocLoad function always returns 1 even when the path does not exist.
For the moment, I have re-modified all my scripts with behavior #1, hopefully it will be stable over time:).

My problem is solved. Thanks :) !

This topic is 1945 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.