Microsoft Access Database

This topic is 1869 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I have a full functioning Microsoft access database with front end and back end. the company requires user to have updated live information then out in the field and only want to be able to use IPads. Does anyone know if microsoft access back end can be used as a data source for IPad front end to update an update table in access before updating the master files? I am much more proficientt in  access than file maker so for me to rewrite the program in filemaker at this stage would be impossible.

The program needs to be able to run on microdoft, mac and IPad. so the front end is fine for the windows users but i need an interface for IPad.

If you are asking if you can have a FileMaker frontend with an Access backend, the short answer is no. If the data lives in MicroSoft SQL Server, MySQL, there is a way to do it. But it would involve some fiddling.

If you need it run on a Mac, then Access is not an option. You either need something web based, or you need to rebuild it in FileMaker or something native to the OS.

does filemaker function in the same way, with a front end and a back end,? all i know about filemake is that it is all in one file. 

Also, is there sample databases to be downloaded as sample which can be edited to suite my needs? I need a financial and stock management sample.

Edited by Gismo12

FileMaker is not a traditional backend/frontend architecture. As you mentioned, it's all included in a single file. However, you can separate the setup into multiple files. For example, data in one file, UI in another file. Also, using FileMaker Server to host the files is best practice. With that, users can connect remotely to the files using FileMaker's own network sharing protocol.

There are some samples yes. If they are helpful to you will depend mainly on how complex of a solution you need. Inventory is typically complex. No way around that.

https://www.filemaker.com/learning/custom-app-academy/

https://www.filemaker.com/custom-apps/resources/

You may find these resources helpful.

• Like 1

The only way (that I know) to create an Access "backend", is to share it on a file share. That's not really a backend though. Access would be able to use a proper database (such as MSQL) as a backend and use Access as a front end though.

FileMaker on the other hand has a proper server, through which databases can be accessed. MS Access has nothing that comes close. (not considering MSQL which is a different product).

If the 'backend' is really a shared MS Access file, then it can only be accessed via a PC. Not by Mac or iPad. If you need something that can be accessed by all three platforms, FileMaker is a much better option. If the MS Access backend is really a MSQL server, then FM Go could be used on the iPad and FM Pro on Mac, but if you have to develop FM for iPad and Mac, and Access on PC, you might as well use the same FM DB that you developed for the Mac on PC. There's no redevelopment for that. What works on FM on Mac works on FM on Windows.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the reply, I will work with that.

I think I need to go for proper FM training. I can not get a reputable training company in south Africa though.

Does anyone know where I could inquire about formal training?

I would start consuming FileMaker Academy (http://www.filemakeracademy.com/past-webinars-wordpressdefault/), FileMaker youtube videos and DevCon youtube videos first. There are plenty of places (youtube as well) where you can get heaps of learning material. You can also buy the FileMaker training material https://www.lynda.com/FileMaker-Pro-training-tutorials/199-0.html

• Like 1

This topic is 1869 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.