Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 1832 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am doing some work for a local company and we were talking about moving a paper resource to the ipad/iphone/android.  All data will be static and for visual purposes only, no access needed to servers.  All data is set before hand (schedule of events) and will not change for the most part. They will view/search the data only.  Perhaps if there is a change in data then update via csv.  I have read lots on that and I am not concerned about that.  So my question is, if we produce the static file and send it to the 10-100 people that have fmgo on thier phone, what licencing issues are we facing.  If we have to by 100 licences then that is quite costly could potentially send us in different avenue like livecode where it can be produced and packaged for both IOS and Android.  Ideally, use filemaker to produce the file and have  livecode  convert the fmp12 to android version..not tested but looks cool.

Thanks,

Dave

if you do not need server you can distribute a .fp12 file to people via email or download they will be only consuming data on FMGO no additional license is needed - if they make changes that need to be integrated perhaps you could have the device send data as csv via email or an API to you then FMGO could if needed be updated devise a way to replace file or import data from csv or via HTTP Post.

That is exactly what is happening.  The user will not change anything.  If the host (company) has a change, I suggested using the csv method to update the schedule.  Letting them know there is an update could be tricky as not everyone checks their email regularly.  And I don't think they can be notified any other way, not without integrating a server.  Perhaps i could create a script that would check the checksum value or size of the csv on a host via a timer every 30 mins or so and if it has changed from the original then notify them. then do the update. 

Thanks

Dave

Hi I have explained to them the licencing and that there should be no problems...then they asked what if we charged $2 for the app..what then?  I said I would get back to them.  So here I am.  Any thoughts?

An app/solution built in FileMaker Pro Advance for - FileMaker Go or even with the SDK ($99 FDS - FM Dev Subscription)  to build an app that could be sold on the AppStore you are free to design, sell, distribute worldwide - royalty free with regards to FileMaker Licensing of your single copy of FileMaker Pro Advance. (https://www.24usoftware.com/xgode/)

Should your design require you to remote access FileMaker Server you will need a License for each 'named' user - In as much the user is a known individual - It is a violation of the license to use the "for user or Teams" license for individuals not associated with your organization. In this case you would need a concurrence license for the maximum number of unknown users who would need access at the same time (plus the cost of server license / hosting or self hosting )

If however you have server that publishes out using the XML content or css data to a web page and your users can sip up this raw data as needed importing in to their solution  - or even sending data out of their souiton using email or REST calls to a server - this would not need license.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.