Search for a barcode number in the database?

This topic is 1786 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database that stores compuerts, printers, etc...   Each device has two different barcodes on them, our companies, and the serialnumber that it came from.   I have been successful in using our Ipads to scan the barcodes and put them into the system as numbers and letters, no problem.    Now I would like to have a search button that scans a barcode and then takes that barcode number and searches for it in the database.    I am confused on how to do this.

I know how to scan the barcode and get the number, but I don't know how to do a search for it??

I created a global field in the database to store the scanned code.  But I don't know how to save that and do a search throughout the database for it?

Thanks!

16 hours ago, bcooney said:

https://dbservices.com/articles/filemaker-barcode-techniques/

capture barcode into a global field or $$var and then do a find.

That is a good video and instructions he gives on that site, but I do not need to create bar codes from google.    I simply need to scan the barcodes on the devices, store it and then do a search with the barcode I scanned.  I can't seem to figure that out.

Thanks.

It's hard to tell where exactly you are having a difficulty with this. Scanning a barcode is practically the same thing as typing it. You must start by going to a layout where your global field is and placing the cursor inside it. Then you scan the barcode (or type it). Then you enter Find mode and set the Barcode field to the contents of the global. Then you perform find.

Some of this can be automated. For example, you could program your scanner to emit a special character before and/or after the barcode, and use this as a script trigger or to resume a paused script.

Note that if you start the process by running a script, you could have the script show a custom dialog where the user can type/scan into the global field or into a variable. 

This is what I have in the  script right now.  It is pulling up the camera for the barcode, and it is searching and pulling up inventory, but it is not the correct inventory area.  

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 11.04.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 11.06.35 AM.png

4 minutes ago, comment said:

Is this on Filemaker Go?

--
P.S. Please edit your profile to show your version and OS.

Yes, I am programming it on my Mac, and then have this layout setup for Ipad.  So I am scanning the barcodes with the Ipad using Filemaker Go, which I LOVE!

Edited by 1FilemakerMan

Try it this way?

Insert from Device [ Inventory::gProductCode; Type: Barcode; Camera: Back; Resolution: Full ]
Enter Find Mode []
Set Field [ Inventory::ProductCode; Inventory::gProductCode ]
Perform Find []

where gProductCode is the global field* and ProductCode is the field to search.  

Earlier you said each product has two codes - I am not sure how exactly that comes into play here. If you want to search both fields, you will need to do something like:

Insert from Device [ Inventory::gProductCode; Type: Barcode; Camera: Back; Resolution: Full ]
Enter Find Mode []
Set Field [ Inventory::OurProductCode; Inventory::gProductCode ]
New Record/Request
Set Field [ Inventory::OriginalProductCode; Inventory::gProductCode ]
Perform Find []

--
(*) Note that the global field must be a Text field, not a Container.

Edited by comment

This topic is 1786 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.