Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to make a ''window'' open up on layout?

The Learner

This topic is 1613 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I’d like to create a window, for lack of a better term, that opens up in a layout when a predetermined event happens. Is this feasible in FM? Could someone give me some guidance as to how to proceed? I guess I’ll need a script to make this work.

I hope my description is clear enough. This is my first post on this forum.

Thanks.

What is a pre-determined event? A value in a field, or user navigation (to layout/record/object),  or user action (clicking a button?)  All of which would require a script to target the desired layout, the method of invoking such script would be by use of a button on a layout (easiest) or a Trigger either on a layout a field, or object. 

Ideally the window open event should be caused by user intentional action vs at seemingly random times based on data or record or manual layout navigation. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking about a warning message when the result of a calculation is not zero. So the window would open when the result is not zero and would tell the user to review their calculations. So, it would not be intentional action.

So if you have one field  or more then one field that are used in a calculated field on each field (entry field) a validation (Trigger) you would perform a script that evaluates the your logic and either open a card window, a dialog window, or a simple modal dialog box (show custom dialog) 

These speed bumps are a way to help ensure the data is accurate and complete by forcing them not to proceed until the value is correct.

You can enforce some things at the schema level on the field level validation and somewhat customize the warning dialog where a script wouldn't be necessary. However if you wished to erase their entry to force them to renter data that is possible only with a script.

An alternative way would be to have some text on the layout "Please Review Your Calculations" which would appear when the value of the field in question is zero and would hide (Hide Object When) the value is > 0 or < 0 depending on your business logic.

This guidance is an affordance to the user giving them instruction without necessary hindering them in their data entry.

This topic is 1613 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.