Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Dev 5.5 goes online automatically

This topic is 7891 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

So I installed v5.5 Developer. Now when I open a Filemaker document, it opens in this new version. But first, it tries to open an internet connection.

Why?

How can I disable this idiotic turkey? I tried turning off all plug-ins, to no avail.

FMP is going online because you have the Web Companion installed (and operating) or your network protocol is set to TCP/IP and you have PPP as your connection method.

If you don't need any sharing then change your FMP network protocol to "none".

From TechInfo Article 107921. Which is the WebCompanion 5.5v3 fix list.

11. Corrected a problem on a Macintosh that caused the modem to dial when launching FileMaker Pro. This occurred when the Web Companion was in the FileMaker Extensions folder but not enabled, and TCP/IP was set to dial when needed.

Looks like you need to install the Web Companion 5.5v3 update.

Great idea! Unfortunately, it didn't work. I even tried downloading the v4 update, but that didn't work either.

I notice that these updaters are supposedly for OS9 or OSX, whereas I have OS8.6.

My personal feeling is that I have a glitched copy of the software, since (as it turns out) when I select a network protocol I get a dialog box that says that the changes won't take effect until I restart Filemaker -- except when I choose "none", in which case I get no dialog box at all.

OK, maybe this item from 5.5v2 relaease notes will help.

2.12. In the Mac OS, FileMaker Pro 5.5 would attempt to establish an Internet connection at launch if Remote Access was configured to connect to the Internet automatically. FileMaker Pro now attempts a connection only when required by Web Companion or Remote Data Access Companion.

5.5v2 is not compatible with Dev 5.5v1. But, you can check the Remote Data Access Companion to check if it is configured to connect automatically. Apparantly, I can't configure Remote Access on my PC. But, maybe on the MAC you can. Or, disable the plug-in if you have it enabled.

This is frustrating as h___!

All my plug-ins are disabled, and it still tries to connect.

Since all of it is from the same program CD, there should be no incompatability (and there d___ well better not be!).

I dunno -- mebbe I'll just berate Filemaker until they give me an answer -- or my money back. But I gotta tell ya, I'm almost ready to switch to Windows & Access; those idiots don't seem to care that they're screwing me over.

Do you have access to another computer to try it on (perhaps a newer OS)??

Although 8.1 - 9.x are supported, 8.6 is the absolute minimum to run Web Companion. I know, i know - You have all plugins disabled, and it should work, I'm just saying that OS is about four years old now.

Ken

I just installed Developer 5.5v1Dev on my Mac with system 9.02 and I am experiencing exactly the same! I unchecked all plugins except for the 'local data access companion'.

After launching it connects to the internet..

Want to get rid of this too. Hope to find a solution somewhere.

Harryk

(Found the PhoneNumber Technical Support The Netherlands. Going to call them tomorrow. Keep you informed)

>Developer 5.5v1 connecting to internet after launching

I spoke to the Belgium helpdesk, where they gave as solution to replace the web-companion to version 3.

This did not help.

It's the same story they tell on the Filemaker website. It's not correct.

What did help was to throw the Remote Data Access Companion out of the Filemaker Extentions Folder. After that the problem is solved.

When you do not use ODBC there is no problem doing that.

Hope this helps with you too...

Harryk

• 1 month later...

The 5.5v2 updater is supposed to fix this problem now.

From the release notes:

2.12. In the Mac OS, FileMaker Pro 5.5 would attempt to establish an Internet connection at launch if Remote Access was configured to connect to the Internet automatically. FileMaker Pro now attempts a connection only when required by Web Companion or Remote Data Access Companion.

This topic is 7891 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.