Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Users photos vs Default photos "toggle" - how?

Tony Martin

This topic is 1526 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello - I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but let's have a go at it.

I have a "PROPERTY" table that shows stats of homes for my users.  In this table there's fields from a related table, "PHOTOS" that displays Default photo(s) for that property in 6 containers.  When we add photos, new records are created in the PHOTOS table with our user ID and property ID.  There's always at least ONE default photo in the first container window

What I'm trying to figure out is this:
When a basic user (not us - administrators) visits the PROPERTY table:
     1) What's the best way to display the default photos if the user doesn't have any added, and
     2) Best way to allow the user to add their own photos thru this layout?

I was thinking of maybe having some sort of visual toggle "switch" that the user could click on/adjust.  It would toggle between any default photos available, and the users photos.

of course, the user wouldn't be able to modify or delete our photos - only the ones they add thru this layout, and only after toggling the users photos "on".

Am I on the right track here?  Is there an easier way to make this work?  Any help is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 1:15 AM, Tony Martin said:

displays Default photo(s) for that property in 6 containers. 

You shouldnt really have 6 containers for this.  You already have a photos table. Just have a new related record for the 6 photos.  As for your users not being able to edit the ones that are "default", you can do that with having a field in the photos table that captures the phototype.  Then you can use that value to control what is a user added vs. "default" and the actions that one can take depending on that type.

3 hours ago, mr_vodka said:

You shouldnt really have 6 containers for this.  You already have a photos table. Just have a new related record for the 6 photos.  As for your users not being able to edit the ones that are "default", you can do that with having a field in the photos table that captures the phototype.  Then you can use that value to control what is a user added vs. "default" and the actions that one can take depending on that type.

I'm not quite understanding - the users want multiple photo upload/display ability.  You're saying there's a better way to accomplish this using the method described above? I'm very new, so I'm not visualizing your solution - tho I appreciate the feedback :)

This topic is 1526 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.