Garden Map Display

This topic is 1414 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have no idea if some of these wants are even possible. I have a plants database that includes a Variety table, a Location table, whose records each consist of an image (map) of one of my gardens, and a Plantings table whose records consist of a Variety key, a Location key, and other information about the planting. There may be over 100 plantings in a Location (garden).

I want to be able to:

1. Place an image (said image resides in the Variety table) of each of my plants in the appropriate location on the garden map

2. Be able to use the plant image as a button to go to the appropriate record on the Variety layout/table

3. Display information about the plant from the Variety table (on hover)

4. Highlight the button/image if certain information about the Variety is missing

5. Highlight the button/image if certain information from the Planting table is missing

6. Use a Popover window to enter missing information about the Variety or the Planting.

I already do 1 through 3, though it is an awkward manual process involving pasting images, manually configuring the button, and manually configuring ExecuteSQL as a Tooltip. I have no idea how I would add 4 and 5. I would also like 1 through 3 to not be so manual for each planting. I can't see doing 200 fields in the Location each with a Relation to Variety and Planting.

Thanks, Paul

I wouldn't try to do this using a Filemaker layout, unless it's possible to cover the location map with a grid of potential plant positions in such way that the same grid would fit all locations. Even then it would look kind of clunky, and might prove too slow.

A better solution might be to generate the overview in a web viewer, using either SVG or HTML5 Canvas. Your Plantings table would need to store the coordinates of the plant's position on the map. 

Either way you are looking at an awful amount of work. I am also skeptical about the usefulness of displaying over 100 plant images  over a single map. I don't think you'll be able to see much detail (although with a web viewer, you might be able to pan and zoom).

I tend to agree - unless your map is abstract or very grid like you can fake it with lots of buttons and conditional formatting. 

Screen Recording 2020-05-05 at 01.58 PM.gif

If your good with JavaScript you could also do things with a web viewer. 

something like this but instead of the us map one that is drawn to your garden

https://carafe.fm/bundle/us-data-map-widget-studio/

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 5:02 PM, Ocean West said:

I tend to agree - unless your map is abstract or very grid like you can fake it with lots of buttons and conditional formatting. 

Yes. I have made that partially work. It's the conditional formatting of the buttons (which are images of the flowers) that stumps me.

This topic is 1414 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.