Server Maintenance This Week. ×

SC(GetInfo) in a Calculation Field on FileMaker Server - where is it calculated

This topic is 1435 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello- 

I am getting confused - 

When I have a calculation field on a Filemaker Server hosted database file that is basically 

SCGetInfo(path)

- which SuperContainer Companion plugin instance is responsible for rendering that calculation result? The one installed on the Filemaker client computer, or the one installed on the Filemaker Server? 

I am confused about this as I was certain the server side Companion instance would do the math. However, I just set up a brand new FMS instance on a brand new machine and had no chance to install the Companion plugin yet - yet, the calculation seems to return the correct result? I am thinking is this run client-side perhaps and the reason why some of my calculations are super slow? 

Thank you!

Hi DataCruncher,

The only time the server side plugin would be involved would be if you run a script with the Perform Script on Server script step or run said script as a schedule. Otherwise plugin functions are run locally.

Oh that's strange but it makes sense. It's strange because the calculation fields are not normally meant to involve client side computing? Perhaps I am not understanding it fully. 

So if I serve a calculation using SCGetInfo through web direct or as JSON through XML, I need to have the companion installed on the web direct instance?  

11 minutes ago, DataCruncher said:

So if I serve a calculation using SCGetInfo through web direct or as JSON through XML, I need to have the companion installed on the web direct instance?  

correct

This topic is 1435 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.