Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Dropdown list in a portal

Greg58

This topic is 1296 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a STUDENTS (parent), and SPORTS (child) table.  The relationship id STUDENTS_ID in the STUDENTS table, to STUDENTS_FK in the SPORTS table.

I have a SPORTS portal in the STUDENTS table showing the sport name.  Can I make the sport field in the portal a dropdown list to select various sporta for various students??

Thanks.

The problem I have is probably a very basic error.  I can create the dropdown list in the portal OK, but when I add a second student and select a sport it created a duplicate of that sport in the sport table!!  I have attached the file.  Thanks for any advice.

StudentSportForumQuestion.fmp12

You should have three tables. 
students<- StudentSports-> sports 

The portal should be based on the join table, Studentsports.  Fields in the join table are studentid, sportid and ant other attributes of this combo. Level?  

I don't detect any problem in your file. When you add tennis to both Greg and James, you will have two records in the Sports table with "Tennis" in the sport field: one with student_ID_FK = 1 (Greg) and the other with student_ID_FK = 2 (James). That is as it should be. Your Sport table is actually a join table between Student and a table where each sport would be a unique record - a table which you don't have and don't really need (unless you have something to record about each sport as such, other than its name).

This topic is 1296 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.