Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Is there a limit to the Number of Folders served by SuperContainer?

This topic is 1249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Last week I was consulting with a reputable Claris Partner who warned me that the 29 thousand images (each one in their own parent folder) could be at risk of corruption if we exceeded the number allowed in our Products folder, stored within the path that leads back to the Shared/SuperContainer Directory.

I was surprised as we'd always believed that Jesse's rationale for the SuperContainer architecture was based upon the premise that there was "no limit" to the number of folders that could be stored within a parent folder but there could be limit to the number of files stored within a single folder. Is that premise still true?

Meantime, we've mitigated any risk by archiving half of the 29K folders with their contained .jpg images to a separate folder, along with making a new, and separate, webviewer to display those archived images, should that ever be necessary.

Thankfully, the SCMove command has enabled that process to be scripted with error checking.

John Wolff
Hamilton, NZ

13 hours ago, JW_NZ said:

I was surprised as we'd always believed that Jesse's rationale for the SuperContainer architecture was based upon the premise that there was "no limit" to the number of folders that could be stored within a parent folder but there could be limit to the number of files stored within a single folder. Is that premise still true?

As far as I know there are no programmatic limits to the amount of directories that can be inside of parent directory. The only hard limits I know of would be the capacity of the volume the files are being stored on. You are also correct that the paradigm for how SuperContainer needs to be stored is that only one file can be inside a directory else SuperContainer will serve the first file it finds in the directory. That being said I would absolutely recommend that you have some kind of backup procedure for files that are important to your business.

This topic is 1249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.