Auto Enter/Lookup/Relationship issue

This topic is 991 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi forum!  I'm having trouble with something either very simple, or I made it too complicated.

This part of the database is used to measure the volume of different types of fuel tanks.

Different tanks records are populated in the TANKS table connected to a TANKS_NAME table for the picture.  There can only every be 7 types of tanks.

The TANKS table can consist of many sizes of each type of tank.

To do Volume measurements I use the Volume table.  Using dropdowns, I first select a Tank Type, then  an (existing) Tank Name.  

At this point I'd like to pre-populate the initial parameters.  

It appears I need another relationship to make the Lookup work because is seems to only take the first related value. 

Or is the obvious solution a script that loops thru the records values in the TANKS layout, then sets the fields in the VOLUME layout?

Thanks

Steve.

I attached some images.pic1.png.536755edf4b5c40a5cacfceb0c5caa03.pngpic2.thumb.png.50ce337c75eeb052ac6acadac6dbb645.png

I am struggling to understand the purpose of the Volume table. AFAICT, the Tanks table contains all the data necessary to perform any calculation relevant to the specific tank; why then would you need to lookup this data into another table?

I'm not sure, if I understand the semantics correctly. But shouldn't you add gTank_Name=Tank_Name as a second match field pair to your relationship?

@MaxB  I did have the second match, but forgot to point the lookup to the correct TO.  It does work now.

@comment Thanks for the input.  I initially had this table tied into other tables, but for this stripped down version, your solution is better.

This topic is 991 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.