Honey, I Shrunk The Checkmark!

EasyWriter

This topic is 750 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Why would my checkmarks shrink and/or how do I control their size?

When I set up this field two weeks ago, the checkmark was at least as big as the box and maybe bigger. Now it's struggling to be visible.

I've been developing with FileMaker since 1992 and never encountered this one. Couldn't find an answer via Google.

Thank you in advance.

image.png.d7c8cbdae3071ac32852d86a4dd45ee2.png

14 hours ago, comment said:

Can you post a file showing this (and preferably only this)?

Gladly. It's actually a rather small file as FMP databases go. It's still under development, so username "admin" with no password still works.

The situation appears on the first screen. Just click "Engineering Details Of The Submarine," and you'll see it a few inches to the right. That checkmark filled the box when it was created. You can click around, such as on "Open Content Detail" and see the same situation on other layouts. It's universal in this database.

This is actually a calculation field that returns "Assigned" when a reviewer and a due date are assigned in Content Detail.

Thank you for your interest,

Jeff

image.png.8f54fb4388739c22ca3070505fb21271.png

BookPage.fmp12

Edited by EasyWriter

I would not use the "checkbox" feature but instead use a button bar that toggles the field but displays a SVG. and using hide logic to make the object display based on field content. 

You don't have to use a TOGGLE but there are many other checkmarks that can be substituted. Alternatively in a pinch you could even use Emoji or even ASCII characters. 

11 minutes ago, comment said:

It does not work for me.

My bad. I guess I'd already changed it for the client and forgot. The password is "bookpage"  ... one word and all lower case

16 minutes ago, comment said:

The checkbox is not checked and I am not able to check it. Please provide a simple file that shows the problem and nothing else. One table, one field, one layout.

I'm sorry, but I don't think that would help. The point is that the checkmark changed over the course of working with this specific project. A new file probably wouldn't have the same problem. 

The field on the first tab is actually a calculation field. It's triggered when the reviewer and due date are set in Content Detail. That's why you can't click it.

For a clickable example, click on the People tab and choose someone at left for detail. Then the checkboxes work like regular FileMaker checkboxes.

Thanks,

Jeff

image.thumb.png.195a3febe08223da87c1e1468a5df007.png

18 minutes ago, EasyWriter said:

A new file probably wouldn't have the same problem. 

This is almost always not true. Typically the problems like you are seeing are file specific. And even often layout specific ( not saying yours is ). This is a diagnostic step that helps point to where the problem could be. If it does show in a brand new file, that points to a completely different problem than if it shows only in one file.

As another diagnostic step, copy that object to a new layout with the default theme. Paste in the object, and set the style to the default in that new layout and whatever theme it uses ( if 19, likely Apex Blue ).

With the new style applied, does it still show? If yes, DEFINITELY create a new file and see if the problem exhibits there also.

2 hours ago, Josh Ormond said:

This is almost always not true. Typically the problems like you are seeing are file specific. And even often layout specific ( not saying yours is ). This is a diagnostic step that helps point to where the problem could be. If it does show in a brand new file, that points to a completely different problem than if it shows only in one file.

As another diagnostic step, copy that object to a new layout with the default theme. Paste in the object, and set the style to the default in that new layout and whatever theme it uses ( if 19, likely Apex Blue ).

With the new style applied, does it still show? If yes, DEFINITELY create a new file and see if the problem exhibits there also.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help me. I can report progress but not a final conclusion.

I created a simple file as suggested and proceeded to do some testing. The results of that are below in the linked file called "ShrinkingCheckmark". To me, they are illuminating but inconclusive.

Additionally, in the main file, I created a new layout based on the Apex Blue theme, and — voila — the problem disappeared.

I have ignored Themes for multiple versions and for multiple reason that I don't regret. This is my first project using Themes. I basically started with the Default, applied the client's colors in a few places and began saving changes to Styles and Themes. Somehow my checkmark shrank. But I don't see any way to control the size of the checkmark so I can save it with the Theme.

I appreciate the progress.

Gratefully,

Jeff

shrinkingCheckmark.fmp12

I don't know what you did. I can only tell you how to undo it: select the field and re-assign it to a different style, then back to default. Or select the "Revert changes to style" option from the drop-dowm menu.

Filemaker does not provide a way to change the color or size of the checkmark. AFAIK it is possible by hacking the CSS of a theme, then pasting the edited theme into your file. Unless you know what you're doing, I would not recommend this route. If you want your own checkmark, you can easily use a character or a graphic instead of displaying the field (as already mentioned above by @Ocean West).

You can change the color of the checkmark in the style section of the inspector, and also conditional formatting.

1341345136_ScreenShot2022-03-07at7_13_48PM.png.12ceb4640aa770d18ddc90d5586060ca.png

The size is controlled, typically, by the font size. So likely something with the CSS went pear-shaped.

I'm also in the camp of using a button bar for "checkboxes".

https://blog.beezwax.net/fun-with-button-bars-check-please/

On 3/7/2022 at 5:00 PM, comment said:

I don't know what you did. I can only tell you how to undo it: select the field and re-assign it to a different style, then back to default. Or select the "Revert changes to style" option from the drop-dowm menu.

Filemaker does not provide a way to change the color or size of the checkmark. AFAIK it is possible by hacking the CSS of a theme, then pasting the edited theme into your file. Unless you know what you're doing, I would not recommend this route. If you want your own checkmark, you can easily use a character or a graphic instead of displaying the field (as already mentioned above by @Ocean West).

Your suggestion for how to undo it was on the mark and worked. Apparently, to quote Josh Ormond's technical term, something just went pear-shaped.

As Josh points out, editing the checkmark color is possible. It's the size that went haywire. Anyway, it's good now.

I can't thank each of you enough for your help.

Sincerely,

Jeff

• Like 1

This topic is 750 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.