Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Exporting more than one .pdf in a single, FM Server generated e-mail

This topic is 407 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've coded a script (attached) that successfully sends a scripted e-mail (from FM Server v19.x) that includes a .pdf as an attachment, but I'm just wondering if there's been any progress in being able to send multiple .pdfs in the same/one e-mail without resorting to having to use a plug-in; the threads I've been reading here and elsewhere stem from 2016, so if there's been any progress since then to being able to send such e-mails without using plug-ins I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Happy holidays,

Rich

Email Script_Redacted.pdf

Edited by WF7A

Let's say that a relationship exists and the .pdf field lives on the child table. Wouldn't I have to loop through all the related child records to create each its own variable (using Get (TemporaryPath) ) for each record, e.g, $_TempPath1, $TempPath2, $TempPath3? If so, is there an elegant way to serial increment the $TempPath variable name (for Get ( TemporaryPath ) & GetContainerAttribute ( ATTACHMENT::PDF__lxr ; "filename" ))?

Edited by WF7A

#
#

Set Variable [ $i ; Value: 1 ]
Go to Object [ Object Name: "portal" ]
Go to Portal Row [ Select: On ; First ]

Loop

Set Variable [ $x ; Value: child::path ]
	Set Variable [ $y ; Value: "Let ( $temp" & $i & " =  \"" & $x & "\" ; \"\" )" ]
	Set Variable [ $z ; Value: Evaluate ( $y ) ]

Go to Portal Row [ Select: On ; Next ; Exit after last: Off ]
	Set Variable [ $i ; Value: $i + 1 ]

Exit Loop If [ $i > 5 ]

End Loop

Send Mail [ Send via E-mail Client ; With dialog: On ; 5 Attachments ]

path.fmp12

5 hours ago, WF7A said:

a relationship exists and the .pdf field lives on the child table

I was curious to see what would happen if a single variable contained multiple filepaths. In my test, I am getting a draft mail containing multiple PDF attachments, one from each related child record.

This is my script:

If [ not IsEmpty ( Child::ParentID ) ]
   Go to Related Record [ From table: “Child”; Using layout: “Child” (Child) ] [ Show only related records ]
   Go to Record/Request/Page  [ First ]
   Loop
      Set Variable [ $filePath; Value:Get ( TemporaryPath ) & Child::Name & ".pdf" ]
      Set Variable [ $allPaths; Value:List ( $allPaths; $filePath ) ]
      Export Field Contents [ Child::PDF; “$filePath”; Create folders:No ]
      Go to Record/Request/Page [ Next; Exit after last ]
   End Loop
   Go to Layout [ original layout ]
   Send Mail [ Send via E-mail Client; To: Parent::Email; Subject: "Important Subject"; Message: "Here are your files"; Attachments: “$allPaths” ]
End If

This is undocumented, so YMMV. But if it works for you, then you won't need to name variables programmatically (which, as you have seen, is rather awkward) and - most importantly - you won't need to hard-code the variables into the Send Mail script and place an arbitrary limit on the number of attachments.

12 hours ago, WF7A said:

I've coded a script (attached)

Your script creates the PDF by using the Save Records as PDF script step.  If that's where your PDFs are supposed to come from, then you also have the option to merge them into a single PDF, then attaching the resulting file.

12 hours ago, WF7A said:

if there's been any progress

I believe the direction of the progress is to move away from SMTP-based mail towards interacting with the mail provider's API using the Insert From URL script step. Currently this can be a rather challenging task; perhaps in the future Claris will include pre-made routines for the major providers.

Edited by comment

Thank you both VERY much.

I got Comment's script to work, but couldn't get Ocean West's--I'm guessing it may have to do with the variable, $z, because it's defined but not used anywhere after that, so maybe a crucial  instruction is missing?

I agree with the SMTP-based e-mail vs. API. For a while, I've been using smtp-relay.gmail.com, but that stopped working so I created an account password per Claris's instructions and started using smtp.gmail.com, but you're right--an easy-to-use API would be grand ... especially for nim-nulls like me who have no concept of how to use them (as well as JSON--a double-whammy nowadays.) I took Productive Computing University's API course multiple times and I just don't get it; it's a nicely put-together primer, but I'm old and dense, so it's hard for this old geezer to grok. : P

Edited by WF7A

On 12/24/2022 at 12:40 AM, WF7A said:

I'm guessing it may have to do with the variable, $z, because it's defined but not used anywhere after that

The variable $z is used by the very act of its creation. You asked how to define a variable whose name is not known beforehand, and that's how it's accomplished - see:

But overall the idea you have outlined:

On 12/23/2022 at 1:21 AM, WF7A said:

to loop through all the related child records to create each its own variable (using Get (TemporaryPath) ) for each record, e.g, $_TempPath1, $TempPath2, $TempPath3

has a flaw I already mentioned earlier: these variables need to be hard-coded into the Send Mail script step. That means there will be a limit to the number of child records that can be included in this process. And if there is a known limit, then you could also simply create these variables explicitly, without resorting to the awkward technique above.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm bumping this thread because I've run into a snag. Sorry.

The problem is when a user connects via WebDirect the above won't work, so my goal now is to enable a WebDirect user to be able to send an e-mail with a .pdf (stored in a Container field, externally-saved) as an attachment from a single record.

From what I've read, a "trigger" script is necessary to fire a PSoS script that contains the instructions to do all this; I've attached what I've tried (and it fails.) It _seems_ to get hung up on the Export Field Contents instruction since when I try the Export As PDF instruction instead, the record layout is dutifully created as a .pdf and attached correctly...but I could be (am usually) wrong.

TIA for your help!

Untitled.pdf

Edited by WF7A
Re-upload of .pdf

Export Field Contents is not a server compatible script step you will need to install BaseElements plugin on server to export the PDF from a container

you can use insert url to convert a generated PDF into a container. 

Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 7.56.03 AM.png

This topic is 407 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.