Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Adding a field to an already existing portal

jjjjp

I am adding a field to a portal by widening the portal and creating a space for a new field. I then add a field to the empty space. But the field doesn't show up properly in the portal.

In edit mode, this is how (part of) the layout initially looks:

image.png.644a6631fe643a878e1a47887d321564.png

And in display mode:

image.png.1fb356c888b4f246c6f9b55c739b7d99.png

I then created some extra space next to the second field:

image.png.985cfbbd1ca1bcfcfe7834336250637a.png

I copied and moved the second field to the empty space beside it. I plan to replace the third field with a new field from the same table, but just to make sure everything is working, I simply duplicated the second field to the third position in the portal:

image.png.d769084d07e5657720ca5507187d27ee.png

The third column in the table should look identical to the second, but it doesn't:

image.png.ada0b65fc7d1d4cc069ea01cfc57a83a.png

The value is completely incorrect, and a cell with the expected border appears only in the first row.

I used to know how to address this issue, but it has been so long since I have really coded, the correct way to get what I am after escapes me.

How do I fix the problem and get what I am after?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by jjjjp
Typo
  • Like 1

If a field (or any other layout object) is not repeated in every portal row, then the field is not inside the first row of the portal. You can verify this by looking at the Objects tab of Layout mode. Sometimes it's necessary to nudge the object up and down to get it to "slip" inside the portal.

As for the value being "completely incorrect", that's probably because your portal is sorted and/or filtered - so that the record shown in the first portal row is not the first related record in the order of the relationship.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, comment said:

Sometimes it's necessary to nudge the object up and down to get it to "slip" inside the portal.

Precisely.  Select that field and move it 1 pt down then back up to same top number as the other fields.  You will see/feel it jump (quiver) which means it entered the portal.  After experience, you will become very aware of the need to nudge a field to be sure it is 'within' the portal.

jjjjp, I must commend you on the excellent example of your issue.

Edited by LaRetta

Thanks both. I have fixed the issue. Moving the field up and down by altering the position on the Inspector panel hadn't worked, but nudging it manually did.