Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Sending emails crashing Filemaker repeatedly for one user - Best way to troubleshoot?

One of my users has frequent crashes while attempting to send emails. What's the best way to narrow down the issue a bit? The only common thread at this point is sending emails.

• Windows 10
  • Filemaker Pro 19.2.1.14
  • Email Plugin: 4.024506 (I believe)
    • I tried updating to 5.01 but it did not work. I believe it was 100% crash rate, but it was a while back, so I do not remember at this time.

Where should I go from here?

Thanks,

I do never use any plugins if the function exists in native fm-scripting, I then turn to the SMPT way of doing it, and perform the script on server, to allow web direct clients to do it as well ... this makes all fail or succeed ... and only one position to debug, if failures occur.

43 minutes ago, Søren Dyhr said:

I do never use any plugins if the function exists in native fm-scripting, I then turn to the SMPT way of doing it, and perform the script on server, to allow web direct clients to do it as well ... this makes all fail or succeed ... and only one position to debug, if failures occur.

Isn't the email function extremely barebones? These emails are highly customized, templated emails.

Well they're requiring the developer to have a bit of knowledge in exporting to different formats, say:

https://filemakerhacks.com/2023/07/28/generating-spreadsheets-with-libxl/

But integrating with Mailchimps API ... might solve other of your problems regarding mails as well. Just a simple problem could be sending mails to more than 500 receivers per day ... which makes any scripting or plugin use troublesome to say the least.

--sd

Hi MileFaker3000,

Just to clarify, you saw this same behavior with Email 5?

I suspect the issue is most likely GUI related (i.e. the progress bar that spawns on EmailSend). First thing I would recommend is updating to the last version of Email 4, 4.11, available here. Once installed, call the function EmailSetWindowManagement(False) and then see if the crash continues to happen. Note that the parameter is a boolean value and not a String. If the crash still occurs, please send an email to [email protected] so we can create a support case for this. In the email go ahead and include your plugin logs. Make sure to reproduce the crash you are seeing and then send the logs before any start up of Filemaker as doing starting FMP back up will overwrite the logs. See this page for log locations.

16 hours ago, ryan360Works said:

Hi MileFaker3000,

Just to clarify, you saw this same behavior with Email 5?

I don't recall the specifics, but when I tried to update her plugin, she had repeated crashes. I don't think she could even send a single email.

I suspect the issue is most likely GUI related (i.e. the progress bar that spawns on EmailSend). First thing I would recommend is updating to the last version of Email 4, 4.11, available here. Once installed, call the function EmailSetWindowManagement(False) and then see if the crash continues to happen. Note that the parameter is a boolean value and not a String. If the crash still occurs, please send an email to [email protected] so we can create a support case for this. In the email go ahead and include your plugin logs. Make sure to reproduce the crash you are seeing and then send the logs before any start up of Filemaker as doing starting FMP back up will overwrite the logs. See this page for log locations.

I haven't tested your theory yet, but it reminds me that a few months back I enabled the progress bar only for myself via EmailSend [Progress; Progress Location: ] (Previously it was disabled EmailSend [Progress Location: ]). I have had far fewer crashes since doing so. Just now I enabled it for everyone. We'll see if that helps at all.

To be clear, were you suggesting that the progress bar spawning could be the issue, or the progress bar NOT spawning could be the issue? I'm reading as the latter as that seemed to fix my issues (as per my test above).

For full transparency, this one user has always had more email crashes than anyone, however we've all had them, pretty regularly. Again, mine have gotten much better since enabling the progress bar, so hopefully that's the fix for the crashing. Still doesn't fix the update to v5, but one issue at a time.

1 hour ago, MileFaker3000 said:

To be clear, were you suggesting that the progress bar spawning could be the issue, or the progress bar NOT spawning could be the issue? I'm reading as the latter as that seemed to fix my issues (as per my test above).

Since EmailSend is a GUI function, it invokes our GUI framework regardless if the progress bar is enabled/disabled. I'm surprised to see that enabling the progress helps the situation. In the past we have had problems where managing child windows of FileMaker via the plugin has caused problems. For these types of issues, EmailSetWindowManagement turns this management of windows off and has resolved issues historically. If enabling the progress bar still results in crashes, albeit less, try using EmailSetWindowManagement and see if the issues is completely resolved. If it isn't please send in an email to [email protected] so we can troubleshoot further

It is undocumented as it really only needs to be used for rare GUI issues. Call it as a calculation:

Set Variable[$winManage; Value: EmailSetWindowManagement(False)]

Make sure you are updated to 4.11 as I am unsure if older versions of Email 4 have this function implemented.

16 hours ago, ryan360Works said:

It is undocumented as it really only needs to be used for rare GUI issues. Call it as a calculation:

Set Variable[$winManage; Value: EmailSetWindowManagement(False)]

Make sure you are updated to 4.11 as I am unsure if older versions of Email 4 have this function implemented.

Thank you. I will report back in a week or so when the user is back in the office. I want to run real world tests one change at a time.