Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMP Web Server Newbi Question

This topic is 8135 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I work for a small nonprofit agency with about 50 database users. 12 of the users are on the LAN and the other 38 users are out in the field with IBM PC Laptops (80% of those with cable connections or faster).

No more than 10 would likely be using the database at the same time(6 on the lan, 4 in the field).

Users currently connect to our FMP windows 98se host machine through our companies VPN however, the VPN is very problematic and laptop configuration is a pain.

We are thinking we want to implement a FMP 5.5 Unlimited Web Server and allow our users to enter field data with nothing more that a web browser, username and a password.

Here are my questions:

Does this seem like a good idea?

Looks aren't too important so would "instant web publishing" probably suffice to convert our current layouts to web layouts?

Would running FMP 5.5 Unlimited on a Win 2k Workstation OS be sufficient for the small amount of connections we will have (10-15 max at a time) or would we need to invest in Win 2k server OS? If you have experience here please post a reply. Pros and cons etc...

Thank you,

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: PluNdeR ]

You're basically not set up right. While you could use browsers, if the remote users have broadband, I'd just equipment them with FileMAker Pro and let them connect to FM Server via a WAN type connection. That way tyhey get full functionalty and you don't have to deal with web browsers, CDML, etc.

Old Advance Man

• Newbies

I am sorry i am so new to this type of stuff, but could you elaborate a little on how a "WAN type setup" would work with FMP server? There is no way we can connect everyone without using the Internet that i know of. We are very low budget non-profit. If we did use the FMP Server and the Internet, could we keep our data relatively secure without our current VPN situation? Sorry if i am totally missing your point, i am doing my best.

Our goal is for any legitimate employee to enter data from any computer with internet access using some sort of filemaker pro setup.

FYI this is an expanded version of our current network connectivity setup.

Basically, all our Laptops are on home computer cable modems or in school districts with Public IP's. We set up a Virtual Private Network and use the internet to do our data entry, but that has turned out to be a major headache with numerous issues (aka software requirements, IPSEC issues, numerous 3rd party relationships we have to keep "happy" so they will allow us through their firewalls etc)surrounding even though it does work for the most part. Also on some of our home computer networks, their routers only allow 1 IPSEC session at a time, so that is also a huge hassle.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Imagine the public Internet as your Local Area Network. That's what using the Internet as a WAN means. The remote user launches FMP on his or her machine, clicks the "Hosts" button enters the IP address of the Server running FM Server, and the list of files appears. Select the one toopen.

Just like on the LAN, only using the Inetrnet as a WAN. All other items such as routers, firewalls, VPN's, etc. are extra layers to be configured.

HTH

Old Advance Man

I know what you mean by having to deal with the firewall and IPSec etc. I think you may have the same issues trying to gain access to the VPN with a browser.

I have been using Sonicwall software for access to a VPN in Sydney and Melbourne. I have to use a modem directly connected to a Win2k computer; I cannot get to the VPN via my own network and router. So it is a bit of a pain. frown.gif" border="0

If you can setup a seperate server which does not require VPN access you will be able to use the client/server system you have now, without the VPN hassles.

All the best.

Garry

This topic is 8135 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.