Opening & Closing of Databases via web interface

This topic is 8123 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello everyone,

I'm building a real-time signin program in a web interface, but I don't need all of the corresponding databases open all of the time until I need them to conserve memory. I know that the easiest solution is to keep all of the databases (there are 8 of them) open all the time, but my question is: has anyone out there actually been successful in opening and closing of databases via scripts run on a web interface?? I don't want any solutions if you have because the suspense is killing me if someone just gave me the answers. I just want to know if anyone has actually done it, so I know it is possible. Thanks in advance!

Yes it can be done, but it's a stupid thing to do. A couple of open databases takes up bugger-all memory, while having to open and close them will be a royal pain in the arse.

Right. But when I didn't have direct console access to our server, it was the only way for me to update Unlimited databases with new versions.

I was FTPing new version to the server.

Then I called the script for stopping the older running database.

Then I renamed the old db.

Renamed new db for normal name.

Started db via script.

That was fast, up to a minute of downtime. And pretty secure, because it was "secret" URL with password protection.

I agree Anatoli -- I've done exactly the same thing with FMP4. But to have databases closed and open them with scripts when necessary in an attempt to save a few kB of memory?

quote:

Originally posted by Vaughan:

Yes it can be done, but it's a stupid thing to do. A couple of open databases takes up bugger-all memory, while having to open and close them will be a royal pain in the arse.

I agree about the pains of opening and closing databases, but I didn't need all 8 of them at one time open...just when I needed them. Luckily, the server I'm putting them on (Dual Pentium III 132 MB RAM) can take the strain, but the computer that I'm developing them on (Pentium 233MMX 64MB RAM) is really gritting it's teeth to run the scripts as a simulated server. Thank you for the reply!

There is no or very little reduction in server load by closing a couple of databases. FM Server can handle 250 open files at a time! FM Pro is limited to 50, but that's still a lot of files. Closing one or two (or eight) sin;t going to make much difference. The hassle of opening databases when needed far outweighs any possible advantages.

Another thought: the databases should all have passwords protecting them if they are multi-user. Unless the databases have the same password as the file with the opener script, FMP will wait with the password dialog before proceeding with the open.

This topic is 8123 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.