Search not working in particular database

This topic is 8104 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I use FileMaker Pro 5.5 Unlimited connected to a FileMaker 5 Server. I set up Instant Web Publishing for my database. When I go to the search link, I get a form that allows to me search for the fields of that layout. After typing in search values, I clicked on the search link but it didn't work. It returned me back to the same search page, but my old search value was still there.

I did this for a sample database that came with FileMaker Unlimited. After clicking the search, a table was displayed with the search results.

Where does the problem lie? Is it in my request URL or in the actual layout? Are there any limits to how many fields a layout can have?

Thanks

You are not getting responses because IWP is wysiwyg. So most people on this forum use custom and know nothing about IWP except to avoid it.

We don't know how to alter that code. cdml gives us control (but not security) over custom.

There have been a few brave souls who post questions about IWP, but if they are successful we never know it since those users never provide answers to questions posited by other IWP users, thus displaying their expertise.

RE: Well, seems like everyone here is anti-IWP ;-) I happen to need the "wysiwyg" interface.

Using Instant is like fighting with Mike Tyson and having both hands tied up at back.

The WYSIWYG is nothing special; you can design 1000 times better layout in HTML and have the speed of CDML.

Your WYSIWYG cannot do 99% of things, which are possible in FM/CDML/HTML/JS, combination.

• Newbies

Well, seems like everyone here is anti-IWP ;-) I happen to need the "wysiwyg" interface.

Anyways, my problem was solved when I removed the non-alphanumeric characters from the field names. Things like #, $, ', and / mess it up.

I'm begining to understand a lot of how IWP works. Yes, it's ugly, yes, it's 50K of javascript, but it does work well in IE4.0+ ;-)

Anyways, part 2 of my problem was that I had 40+ fields on that layout. Every blank term on that form was being passed as a paramter on the URL. This generated a URL > 256 characters long -- the http specification doesn't allow more than 256 characters. If you hand-generate the URL it works.

If anyone wants to know what i'm doing to alievate the security issues of IWP without using any 3rd party software like lasso, do what i'm doing.

I'm writing a proxy in java to intercept requests for IWP pages. If its the first request, i present a login. I authenticate this login against an LDAP server over SSL. Here you get a menu of the different layouts to view. The user selects his layout. Then I generate a request to IWP to display the particular record/layout I need to the user. Viola, the user sees everything he needs to see. The IWP server is hidden behind a firewall with no access to the internet besides the proxy. The only access to it is through the proxy which verify the security.

So, now I have security, authentication, and wysiwyg automatically -- just by using a proxy. Wonder why other people haven't thought of this?

Min

• Newbies

quote:

Originally posted by Anatoli:

The WYSIWYG is nothing special; you can design 1000 times better layout in HTML and have the speed of CDML.

Your WYSIWYG cannot do 99% of things, which are possible in FM/CDML/HTML/JS, combination.

You may be able to design better in HTML, but my job requires that I show the user a read-only version of a layout that my employer uses. The layout MUST be identical to their forms. They have about 30 forms they want online, and they change over time. Using a proxy approach lets me code only once, and all the layouts are treated the same way. And you must take into account development speed. This was done in about 2 weeks, what would have otherwise taken months.

--min

This topic is 8104 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.