Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

One quick question...

bkraatz

This topic is 7963 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I asked a similar question a week or so ago, but I'm afraid it was worded poorly due to my ignorance with server questions. My ignorance remains, hopefully the questions have improved. Here's the situation, I have now almost completed databases running on my own office computer (served via web companion). Basically the databases allow users to search for records and add new records--everything is coming along nicely.

Well, I need to switch things over to a designated "server" computer next week.

This is the note I received from my contact regarding this switch:

"He [our server guy] says that while *in theory* you can run the Web Companion on a separate port, in his experience it hasn't worked well. (He did note that his experience was with earlier versions; this may no longer be the case.) There is a Java alternative that allows Filemaker to run through IIS, and this may be the easier way to go.

He's installing Server 2000..."

My quetion(s) to you all:

(1) Is there a problem running FM (and web companion) through another port of a Server 2000 computer with FM Unlimited 5.5? If it will work, what considerations should I take to make the transition as smoothly as possible.

(2) What's this Java alternative business? Complicated.

As you could probably tell I'm looking for the least complicated solution that will make the transition as smooth as possible.

We run IIS port 80 on NT4 and Unlimited on port 591 without single problem.

Then we switched to NT4 IIS on 80 and WebServerConnector, which is translating all from port 591 to IIS and port 80.

Again without single problem and last restart was on May 25th.

On two of our servers we are running FileMaker 5.5 Unlimited with Web Server Connector using port 591 and Windows 2000 Server/IIS running on port 80. FileMaker doesn't recommend this configuration due to "performance reasons" but our sites don't get enough hits for it to be an issue and they work fine.

This topic is 7963 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.