Open a db? Must be simple!

This topic is 7919 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a Clients db. It is related to a Contracts db. I want a button to execute a script which opens the other db and goes to the related record. But, when I try to write a script and OPEN another db, it doesn't even offer a place to list the .fp5 related db name? I've searched through all the script options ... oh, come on ... this has GOT to be easy! Of course, FM help says "select File:Open" Well, for goodness sakes, THAT tells me a lot! crazy.gif

hmmm.... not sure where you're going wrong here.

In the script definition screen, look in the left column... under "Files" there is a script step called "Open". Doublie clicking it adds it to your script. Now look to the bottom of the dialog... there is an option to "Specify File".

If you don't specify the file, it just brings up the open dialog box.

BUT... I'm not sure you even need to open the file at all... I believe you can just use "go to related record"... since the files are related it knows where it is and will open the file automatically.

Oh, blush.gif "Doublie clicking it adds it to your script." There it is - I was looking for the file name before I ADDED the script line -- okay, I'm NEW to scripts blush.gif

Well, when I open Clients, Contracts doesn't open (not listed in Windows dropdown), so I couldn't use GoTo Related record ... or so I thought. smirk.gif

Have you searched the forums for an answer? This comes up a lot!

In the related file, create a script that setus up the window and ends with "Refresh Window [bring to front]".

In the master file, perform the script in the related file using the "Perform Script [external...]" step.

Thanks for the input. Actually, I did do a search to find the answers myself before I posted. I found Open PDF's, Open on Host, Open ... just about everything else but a simple Open Related. I found one in which I think Kennedy responded but the response wasn't clear enough for me to know how to do it, although it sure helped the person he was responding to. It's good to know it's come up before ... that at least indicates it wasn't the stupidest question ever posted on the forum. crazy.gif Sometimes it's the simple, beginner steps that seem the hardest -- like changing the body background.

My forgetting to double-click however; well, that was just plain dumb ... I've been living on little sleep lately because of major deadlines. I shouldn't be designing when I'm brain-dead! Another hard lesson learned. smirk.gif

In the related file, create a script that setus up the window and ends with "Refresh Window [bring to front]".

Since Win handles windows oddly, I have noticed that by just calling the external script (which has Go to Layout [ ] in it) and having the script end in the external file, that window will come to the front. This is useful if you use tabs to other files because in my experience the external Refresh Window [bring to front] will make the window title bar animate maximize. Not that big of a deal, but it just seemed smoother without it.

I assume that Macs dont have this problem? , although I haven't tried it.

Ken

This topic is 7919 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.