Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM 5.5 on OSX 10.1.2 just all of a sudden quites

ibiubu

This topic is 7351 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• 2 weeks later...

ibiubu

Here, here. We've been experiencing EXACTLY the same thing... Mac OS X 10.1.2 and FMP-u 5.5 problems. We just suddenly notice we aren't serving anymore and have to re-boot or re-lauch the db's.

As a workaround, we're looking for something to re-boot the Mac every day in the wee hours but are having trouble finding something. Mac OS 9 used to have this feature in Energy Saver but this feature was removed in OS X. There are some utilities out there under development but the 2 we tried did not work. We are now looking at the Darwin/Unix command line to see if CRON can do it for us.

Anyone else have a solution?

• 1 year later...

Make a Applescript, Applescript editor can be found here: /Applications/AppleScript/Script Editor.app

Save As: Application

Options: Run Only

Copy Paste (MAKE SURE YOU EDIT THIS) ---->>

tell application "FileMaker Pro"

if (exists application "FileMaker Pro") = false then

launch application "FileMaker Pro"

end if

if (exists database "StaffQueue.fp5") = false then

open file "Applications:FileMaker Pro 6 Folder:web:Staff:StaffQueue.fp5" with password "password"

end if

if (exists database "Staff.fp5") = false then

open file "Applications:FileMaker Pro 6 Folder:web:Staff:Staff.fp5"

end if

if (exists database "ErrorReports.fp5") = false then

open file "Applications:FileMaker Pro 6 Folder:web:Error:ErrorReports.fp5" with password "password"

end if

if (exists database "StaffError.fp5") = false then

open file "Applications:FileMaker Pro 6 Folder:web:Error:StaffError.fp5"

end if

if (exists database "conQeue.fp5 ") = false then

open file "Applications:FileMaker Pro 6 Folder:web:Con:conQeue.fp5"

end if

end tell

<<<---- Copy Paste

This script will start Filemaker if not opened and any other DB.fp5's you want opened if it's already opened it will just ignore.

Then make a crontab by typing crontab -e on a command line, TERMINAL.app.

This will open up your users crontab file in a vi editor (command line text editor)

Needed VI Functions

( ESC ) will put you in command mode

( ESC i ) will put you in insert mode

( ESC u ) undo

( ESC $ ) go to end of line

( ESC : w q ) will save and close the file NOTE DONT HOLD DOWN THE BUTTONS press ESC then SHIFT :

then w then q hit RETURN

This is what my crontab looks like for filemaker

#minute hour mday month wday who command

*/2 * * * * /usr/bin/open /Users/calden/Desktop/start_fm.app

You need to add /usr/bin/open in front of your Applescript, this tells DARWIN(UNIX) that it is a Applescript and not a BASH or CSH script.

the */2 tells the crontab to go off every two minutes, I too got tired of Filemaker crashing. In fact I hate Filemaker but thats a different story. MySQL, POSTSQL and Oracle are the way to go for web sites . end of discussion.

Hope this helps.........

• 2 weeks later...

Steve T. said:

ibiubu

As a workaround, we're looking for something to re-boot the Mac every day in the wee hours but are having trouble finding something. Mac OS 9 used to have this feature in Energy Saver but this feature was removed in OS X. There are some utilities out there under development but the 2 we tried did not work. We are now looking at the Darwin/Unix command line to see if CRON can do it for us.

Anyone else have a solution?

You could upgrade to 10.3 to get scheduled shutdown and startup. You will get other benefits of a better OS too

Version: v6.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

IMHO: OS X before 10.2 is not robust enough for production use. The WindowServer had too many bugs, application crashes occur way to frequently. Before Jaguar Apple was changing the frameworks too fast and furious, developers had trouble keeping up & Apple added as many bugs as they fixed. Jaguar stabilized this issue, Panther does even better.

What you pay for Panther will be made up quickly by not crashing and spending time on this issue.

I have an old OS 9 AppleScript that can be easily modified to restart a Mac at a given time. Let me know if you want it, I'll update it to OS X.

Thanx, folks! Yes, I actually plan on getting 10.3 Panther very soon for the reasons mentioned plus more, especially 'cuz Fenton told me in another post that Panther works with FileMaker Pro 4 without layout drag problems. Of course, Panther wasn't around back in 2002 so we had to make do w/what we had. We had used CRON after all, but only with partial success. We have 2 FMU 5.5 servers and 1 is almost rock solid (1-2 crashes per month at most; no reboots at all; relatively very busy) and the other used to go down every other day in recent months. A few weeks ago, we put it on another clean-installed Panther system and it is doiing much better (1 crash per week?) but is still not as good as our other one. Go figure. I hear 10.3 + FM6 is the way to go, but we have Unlimited 5.5 and I hate to upgrade a half-step. We'll probably see what FM Server Advanced does first.

Thanxagain!

--ST

This topic is 7351 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.