Mac Out of Resources - messed up script?

This topic is 7913 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have a Mac system. It has an old FM vs. 5. It also has an old program someone had written. To perform a find, the user had to select from a pop-up and the *current* User requested that I make it so that they could just type part of the Clients name in the field. So, I changed the field to calc ClientName and changed FieldFormat to a Standard field.

Everything seemed fine -- clicked find button, typed name, find executed ... however, crazy.gif ... now, we keep getting "system out of resources" and the screen kinda just sits there and flickers confused.gif It just dawned on me that maybe a script was attached to that pop-up. Could this cause an "Out of Resources" message?

I would check it now, but the system's at work! Can anyone help me identify the problem so tomorrow I can just go fix it?

wink.gif

Hi:

Well, I have some questions.

First, what kind of Mac is it and the specs?

Second, Is the find button have a script attached, and what does it do? If the ClientName field is standard, the popup probably has nothing to do with it.

3rd, What is the exact syntax of the error? does it give you a Type 2, 3 or 11 error?

More info and I will try to help

Ken

Hi Kenneth! Well, I was busy and the user showed me the Out of Resources message and told me what was happening. I didn't have time to check the button for a script ... told him I'd get back to him, then got tied up in meetings crazy.gif It's only tonight that I thought of a possible script involvement!

Type of Mac? blush.gif Well, I've been meaning to document our systems blush.gif it's not blue or purple though smile.gif Does that help? No, huh. Well, do you think a script *can* cause this kind of problem, or are there other things I should check also? I know NOTHING about Macs! Nadda!! confused.gif

It could be some kind of circular reference: I've had stuff like this happen when a script calls itself (even as a sub-sub-script).

I hope you made a back-up first.

BTW this kind of event is the justification you need to get a "development" system.

Thanks for your help! The only Mac experience I receive is if I go to the office in the middle of the night!! crazy.gif Agency is open 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. All Macs are heavily used. Well, this isn't part of our new Program, but a Legacy stand-alone flat database. I think I can take care of it then smile.gif

I wonder if the FMP developers have some hidden "halt all scripts no matter what" cheat code.

I *hate* when a script gets into a loop and I've set user abort off!

This topic is 7913 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.