Searching with indexes

This topic is 8046 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello

Is it possible to use CDML to create a page with and index of all first occurrances of "keywords" in a repeated field? Note that every single keyword may or may not occur more than once, not necessarily in the same repetition.

Example:

Record 1 Field X (1st rep) Aa (2nd rep) Bb (3rd rep) Cc

Record 2 Field X (1st rep) Qq (2nd rep) Aa (3rd rep) Zz

Record 3 Field X (1st rep) Gg (2nd rep) Xx (3rd rep) Bb

etc

Index on "indexpage":

Aa

Bb

Cc

Gg

Qq

Xx

Zz

If I can get as far as this, I'm sure that I can manage to make clickable links that I can use to search all records with say Aa in field X.

TIA

Regarding keywords in a repeating field I think the problem is the repeating field. Repeating fields are generally shunned in good db design because of so many problems related to them.

If you cannot create this solution in the db, then you won't be able to construct your cdml solution.

If you are a Javascript programmer you could use Arrays to store the different values and associate record id's to each. However, I prefer to use portals.

The aim is to have two files; e.g. people.fp5 with a unique identifier (serial number field for each record) and grades.fp5 which also has the serial number field (not unique) plus 'Filed X'. Define the relationship from people to grades based on the serial number field. Now, on a layout create a portal and place the field 'Field X'.

Hope this helps.

Garry

Hi

You are probably right.

I don't understand portals, and likewise can't understand what is so wrong with related fields. But I believe you (and all other pro's). I think I'll pass this question on to the Portals forum instead. One of these days I will get a grip on portals too!

Thanks

This topic is 8046 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.