Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Does ScriptMaker work on the Web?

This topic is 8041 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

First off, with IWP the "scripts" are usually single step commands treated as button formating. I believe that in 5.5 certain scripts can be run which are very limited and which are limited to three steps at most.

In regard to your question which is the topic heading, ScriptMaker can be made to work on the web. I know. I've done that. But to do so you must use Custom not Instant.

The problem is that ScriptMaker is single-threaded yet vis-a-vis any multi-user-network more than one request can be made to perform a ScriptMaker event in a near-simultaneous fashion. Thus if ScriptMaker is running an event when a second request is made to run a ScriptMaker event that second request/event will not be run. The problem is further complicated in that the cdml, which is handled by Web Companion, fails to recognize that an database event failure has occurred and fails to send the -error=error.htm as the proper response. Consequently the client making the second request is advised that the transaction was successful, when in fact the script event failed.

How willing are you to gamble?

[ April 19, 2002, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Keith M. Davie ]

RE: The problem is further complicated in that the cdml, which is handled by Web Companion, fails to recognize that an database event failure has occurred and fails to send the -error=error.htm as the proper response. Consequently the client making the second request is advised that the transaction was successful, when in fact the script event failed.

That is because database event failure didn't happen, it is just script event failure and there is no check on that build in FM.

"...database event failure didn't happen, it is just script event failure..."

Anatoli I was speaking in the broader sense that a script event is a database event in that it is manipulating data within the db file (or even multiple db files with subscripts).

If the script event fails to run then the data fails to get manipulated. In a manner of speaking one can then refer to that data as being "lost".

You are certainly correct when you write, "...there is no check on that build in FM."

Clearly then a check must be built.

This topic is 8041 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.