Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Preamble / Postamble Scripts

This topic is 7717 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I finally got the firmware on my hand scanner upgraded to support the "Apple" key.

I have set it up so that there is a postamble of "Command-1" after the scan.

After I scan the barcode, a lookup takes place, and this lookup takes about one second to finish. Problem is that the hand scanner sends the "Command-1" script before the lookup as done... the system beeps at me and never performs the script.

I have also put in place the maximum "Interfunction delay" of 445ms... which isn't enough.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else had these problems with postamble scripts?

• 2 months later...

When you start using this scanner/script architecture, there are a few things your "Command-1" script needs to do. The first is test a "busy" flag to see if the script is already running (its possible to trigger the script multiple times from multiple scans before the first completes). If not, you set the "busy" flag and proceed.

I would put a "pause" statement in your script to allow the lookup to proceed. More definite advice depends upon what exactly you are doing and the contents of your script.

-bd

Make the first line in your script a Relookup.

Ah ha! I think the problem was that the scan consisted of: UPC, TAB, CMD-1

The moment the tab is executed, the system performs the lookup. This takes about a second to perform on a network, during which time the system is busy. The scanner sends the CMD-1 before the system becomes idle so the script never gets activated in the first place.

If I remove the TAB then the system should be ready to accept the CMD-1 immediately.

The only problem I can see is that the "Relookup" step would perform the lookup on all of the records currently being browsed. Do you see any problem with using "Go to field, next" at the beginning of the script? Won't that cause the lookup to be performed?

Thanks for the idea! I had given up on this months ago!

More definite advice depends upon what exactly you are doing and the contents of your script.

All the script does is verify that the lookup was successful, then create new record. The database is for rapid inventory count, which can then be imported into the product database for comparison.

Hey, along the same lines... I have a client with a pile of generic scanners. But we don't have any manuals, so I can't program them. Does anyone know where I could download some programming barcodes to print and scan?

The actual issue is that their FileMaker system (created by someone else) used to work on a Mac, but they've put it on a PC and it inserts a carriage return after the scan instead of the Enter key (to continue the script).

Sorry, there is no universal set of programming barcodes. Scanners are not standardized devices. Each scanner manufacture provides varying degrees of programming capability and has their own set of programming codes and procedures. It's like asking for an oil filter for a car, there are a lot of different types.

You will have to go to each scanner manufacturer individually and look for manuals and information.

-bd

This topic is 7717 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.