Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Translate SQL sentence to Filemaker

This topic is 7735 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm beggining in filemaker. I worked only with relational DB. How can I translate SQL sentence to filemaker

SELECT Sum(Qty) from Products where TypeOfProduct="Oil" AND EntryDate BETWEEN Date1 and Date2

where Date1 and Date2 - dynamic peremeters which receive from the screen of data input

SELECT Sum(Qty) from Products where TypeOfProduct="Oil" AND EntryDate BETWEEN Date1 and Date2

In Filemaker this is called a Find, although other products would call this a query. Once in find mode you would enter "Oil" into the TypeOfProduct field, and allow the user to specify the date range as an expression such as "1/22/01...1/22/03", where the elipse "..." is the range delimiter.

This could also be scripted so as to prompt the user for the dates and the rest could be filled in via the scripting.

The SELECT is not needed since, Filemaker is not generating a seperate result table, but just returning all matching records, similiar to the * operator in SQL.

The SUM() function is actually defined as a field in Filemaker and can be displayed on the screen, the SUM() operator will either work on the current found set or on a set of related records depending upon whether you had specified a local or related field as the parameter.

• 1 month later...

...in other words ur supperior knowledge of SQL does not help you...welcome to the world of FM "databases"

....my suggestion is if you know SQL stay AWAY from FM because it will confuse you even more and make you doubt all of the SQL logic...well it did it to me smile.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.