Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can Filemaker undedstand Touch Screen

This topic is 7655 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I want to build a Filemaker Appication that used to take orders from customer in a restaurant and use touch screen instead of mouse and key board. I wonder do i need any special setpup (software and hardware) in order to maker Filemaker to understand from a finger touch of screen? If I do , then how do I do? Please help and thank you in advance.

mad.giflaugh.gif

Touch screens generally emulate a mouse, so when you touch a location on the screen, the mouse cursor jumps to that location and performs a click.

Therefore the main thing you have to worry about is the size of your buttons and fields, so that they are easy to "touch".

I've always been impressed by the Elo stuff. The acoustic approach to position sensing doesn't add anything in front of the screen and the sensors interface via an internal USB connection. Very slick. Also, I've always got good service from their personnel.

-bd

I'm not familiar with an "acoustic" touch screen technology, maybe that's older? The only technology by Elo that doesn't involve a physical overlay on the screen is their Infra Red technology. The advantage is that since there is no physical overlay, it will never wear out, but I believe they are more expensive.

The most common technologies found in Elo's LCD touch screens are the "AccuTouch" which is a resistive technology, and "IntelliTouch" which is an optical technology.

AccuTouch is the most popular touch screen technology overall, it's great for messy environments (eg: food service), and it's highly accurate.

IntelliTouch is the next most popular... it is made out of glass making it much more scratch resistent. Best for a public terminal where you expect a degree of abuse. I believe you lose some of the accuracy though.

I believe the prices for AccuTouch and IntelliTouch are identical.

• 1 month later...

I ordered one touch screen by phone on Wed Apr 16, 2003, they said they have my model in stock and chose Overnight delivering, I called them on Friday to find out because the package is not @myhome. After 5 minutes of checking my order, they said my model is NOT in stock. I cancelled my order at once and very disappointed. Now I have to shop again, I just get another contract, and my client need at least 5 more of LCD Touch Screen. I guest EloTouch.com will not in my shopping list any more. and Of course I will everyone that I know not to deal with this untrusted company.

HP

• 5 weeks later...

Just to jump in on this forum, I too am thinking of a touch sceen side to my solution (I have not introduced it yet). The only thing that I have a worry about is the speed of processing my scripts. I created a number pad on the screen with 12 buttons representing each numerical digit, I found that if someone does not press the buttons slowly they may miss the odd digit. This is a speed of scripts issue rather than anything else as far as I can see. I managed to make many mistakes using the mouse, while a finger will move accross the screen much faster.

> I found that if someone does not press the buttons slowly they may miss the odd digit.

I suppose you poll your onscreen pad with a pause/resume loop. If you just have buttons 1=paste calculated result["", 1] it will append the number at the end of the current field. No polling is needed. Or if it is, because you need to perform an action on field change, get a plugin instead of using a loop.

Hi Christian,

I'm starting on a touch screen solution and this is something I hadn't considered...

what do you mean by polling the onscreen pad with a pause/resume loop?

Is there anything wrong with using

Set Field [myfield, myfield & "1"] ?

...that would eliminate the risk of the cursor being in the wrong field.

By the way, after previously looking only at the Elo stuff, I recently came across 3M Touch Systems' line of touch screen displays. I must say, they look pretty slick.

www.3mTouchSystems.com

The thing I've always worried about with the Elo stuff is that their LCD's don't look very stable. Have a look at the virtual tour for 3M's stuff and you'll see what a difference there is (or appears to be).

As far as price, the 3M model is slightly cheaper, looking at 15" LCD in Black with USB.

I'll be getting my demo model in a few weeks. Once I've given it the Jason Wood seal of approval I'll be selling it on StoreOS.com!

Christian,

I have tried it and the is no way that i can find to get a script to paste calculated result. Unless we create a calculated field the result being 1. Each time you press a button there is a brief pause,similar to how the system performs the sctipt set Myfield [myfield,&"1"], In other words create a button to put in the one. If you press it three times with the mouse quickly I am willing to bet it will only add 2 ones.

If there is a plugin I think that we might be better off. But I do not know of one.

Any suggestions?

Mark

I just did an "Insert Text" script step and I see what you mean... yikes.

It's very brief but if I can do it with the mouse it will definately be a problem with a fast finger on a touch screen.

Trouble with touch screens usually is that you type too many characters - user has to type slowly. if you add an audible click, delay is even greater but input is more accurate.

www.jazzmedia.com.au has a plugin that does mouse coordinates, it's free. May or may not help here. At least it saves the polling loop, since the script pauses & waits for the next click.

Most kiosks i have seen opereate on Macromedia diretcor. Onscreen keyboard response is faster than using FileMaker buttons, but never fast/accurate enough for a restaurant ...

I guess what I'd really like to see is a plugin developed that would put a "floating palette" over your layout that would take instant input into it's own variable which you'd then call upon in your script.

I doubt something like that would be too difficult for an experienced programmer.

This topic is 7655 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.