Relationships with ranges

This topic is 7711 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

since I saw for the first time the Mikhail Edoshin implementation of smart ranges I told myself that there has to be more general and simply way to implement it. Initially I've tried to extend his original work, you now those formula you wish it was you that have found them first (at least I do), but I was involved with other projects so I've almost forgot about it.

Then, few weeks ago when I saw the post here on the forum requesting the range relationship and since I've had some spare time I've retook the project.

The key points of the method I've developed are:

1) The method could be deployed, without changes to any type of data that allows relationships, namely string, numeric, date and time types.

2) It doesn't require any complex calculations, does not increase the size of the index of related file and it's very flexible to use with compound keys. Implementation of categorized ranges (filtered ranges) is natural extension of the process itself.

3)Known limits:64000K text field size, 20 chars x word or 60 chars x line for indexing purpose

If you find it interesting I'll supply you with more complex examples involving categorized ranges and other data types.

Also when I'll have some time I'll write detailed description of the implementation.

Dj crazy.gif

Djukic Goran

IFC CNR Pisa Italy

Via Moruzzi 1

56124 Pisa

Italy

tel. +39 50 3152611

mobile: +39 3486039628

e-mail:[email protected]

Clairvoyance.zip

Excellent.

Thanks for sharing.

> If you find it interesting I'll supply you with more complex examples

> involving categorized ranges and other data types.

I would be very interested in seeing other examples. Especially if it involved date and time.

> Also when I'll have some time I'll write detailed description of the

> implementation.

I look forward to seeing any detail descriptions on implementation.

Lee

smile.gif

Hi Dj,

I enjoyed looking at your example file. Good implementation.

Interestingly, some aspects of the technique have elements in common with a method I use for filtering text ranges, particularly as regards the use of ValueListItems( ) to retrieve keys for the range - one such example being the 'TextMaster' demo which is available for download from my web site at:

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demos/TextMaster.zip

I like the way you've integrated the approach to deal with duplicates and alternate data types etc.

Cheers,

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.