Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker Bar Code solution from Symbol

This topic is 7665 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there,

I have a terminal scanner P460 from Symbol that stores barcodes in memory, and then uploads data as batch job. It connects to my G4 Mac OS X via USB Synapse cable, and dumps the data into SimpleText file on the Mac.

I use 1-2-3 Scan software from Symbol that can program scanner and delimit the bar code based on my needs. For instance, my barcode is: 1999923

1 Company

9999 EmployeeID

2 Shift

4 Salary Grade

By default the scanner sends the data to MAC as one long string, but 1-2-3 Scan allows me to delimit them as:

1-9998-2-3

1-9999-1-2 etc.

Problem is when I import barcodes into FileMaker, there’s garbage in the data, like 1-2-3 Scan header and such. This solution is becoming a real pain in the butt, because of so many steps involved. Anyone knows of an easy barcode solution native to FileMaker?

Advice is very much appreciated.

How about describing a problem to go with the solution you are seeking? For stand alone data collection. Several of the Palm databases work with the Symbol/Palm handhelds with built in scanners. We might have some scanners compatible with scanning directly into FM Mobile, I have not tried this with the current Mobile version.

-bd

Why not avoid 1-2-3 all together and just bring the bar code "1999923" into a FileMaker field, then use calculation fields with "Left()" and "Middle()" to break it up?

Michael, I think BikeBoy wants to do the opposite. He's bringing in a batch of scanned data (regular text), and he wants to split it into different fields. There is no bar code font involved.

"This solution is becoming a real pain in the butt, because of so many steps involved. Anyone knows of an easy barcode solution native to FileMaker?

Advice is very much appreciated."

IMHO: Why do multiple steps when there is a cheap and easier solution right under your nose?

Just some advice based on experience.

Michael

Thanks, I'll check out the http://www.peninsula-group.com/, although I already have Create-a-label.

Well, I use 1-2-3 Scan to delimit the bar codes with CRLF, so that I can import them into File_A. That's how File_A gets updated. Then in this file parts of this bar code go to certain calc fileds (like Jason said).

In File_B all these barcodes already exist (here the fields converge to create a bar code). The two files are connected on barcode field.

Problem is that the import only appends data to File_A (like any import), and there's no way to "update" existing bar code, unless you do it manually.

I shoulda tried out different solutions, but you usually have to buy it first. Oh well, live an learn...

can't you make the barcode reader directly "type" into filemaker?

just have it type to a global field, let a script sort the delimiters out &parse into individual records...

>Problem is that the import only appends data to File_A (like any import), and there's no way to "update" existing bar code, unless you do it manually.

and have you ever imported with match? It does "update" existing records ....

I think Christian has a good point about using the global field, maybe you misunderstood. You are bringing the data into the global field temporarily... then use text functions to parse into individual records/fields however you want.

would you mind sending a sample scan text file of your symbol scanner, 1x with, 1x w/o the use of 1-2-3 scan?

Since the solution is really easy once you have the clue, someone here (including me) my provide a sample file ....

This topic is 7665 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.