Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Looking for connectivity suggestions

This topic is 7400 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a system running 38 files and now want to be able to run it to another building about 50 meters apart. What is the best way to go about this? I will need a pretty reliable connection and speed (the application is up to 80MB and rising!), I have never done this before and am unsure of the best way to do it in FM.

All comments gratefully received,

Mark

Hi Mark,

If you can run a ethernet cable between the two buildings then that would be the fastest solution as far as networking speed is concerned. And maybe also the easiest and cheapest, but that of course depends a bit on what's between the two buildings...

The maximum length of one UTP ethernet cable is 100 meter, (using 10, 100 or 1000 base-T)

Otherwise I would go for a wireless connection. Assuming you have a network in both buildings you could have a wireless bridge connected to each network and situated so that there are not to much obstacles between the bridges.

There are several companies offering this kind of equipment like Lucent and Apple. (Apple have a wireless basestation called 'Airport Extreme' that has a maximum speed of 54 MBit /sec and with an antenna connector which might come in handy if you need to improve the range)

Filemaker uses the TCP protocol to do it's network business so that should not give any problems over a wireless network. BE sure to password protect all your databases though!

Best regards,

Ernst.

If you are using windows server in the first building and both buildings have internet access, then Windows Terminal Server can give you remote desktops to the users in the second building through the internet connection. I use this option for several employees that work from home and it works very well.

Charles

One thing is for sure I will need to keep it secure. With the windows terminal services am I setting up a VPN like I have seen others do in this forum? Some people seem very unhapy with the speed element on these. I have no experience of them myself though. Another question is how secure is the wireless notwork? I do know that I would certainly not like to have my database open to all and sundry.

Hi Mark,

Don't know about the safety of terminal services through VPN (though I expect it to be very secure), but using wireless technology with it's nowadays standard 128 bit encryption is supposed to be really secure.

Just do an Internet search on a phrase like "wireless 128 bit encryption safe" and you'll get more info about it than you'll probably be able to read in one evening...

Regards,

Ernst.

Terminal Services can be locked up tighter than a nun's #$%^ with encrition, VPN etc.

As for speed, onlky the key strokes and screen, mouse info is sent. As for speed, I can do desktop publishing via TS!!! The faster the connection, the better the service. It's the screen complexity of the app that determins refresh rate. I do notice that a 1 meg pic stuck in a FMP layout is slower to draw than a smaller one. (FMP sends the GUI the full image I guess)

I feel pretty confident that you will not be dissapointed. I have even done FMP debugging and repairing over a hotel dial up connection.

Charles.

• 3 weeks later...

RE: As for speed, onlky the key strokes and screen, mouse info is sent.

That is standard like VNC console.

But TS are much much faster! TS are communicating between Windows Server and various clients through vectors. Bitmaps probably must be send as bits, but everything else can be just extracted from OS as vectors and formulas, send over the lines and assembled back to create window.

I am using for first week TS over 64k (!) ISDN line and it works great!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a client using PC anywhere and a DSL at both locations. They are not too happy witht the setup. PC anywhere drops the connection often. And their ISP does not offer static DSL IP addresses in their area. (go figure) so every time they need to re establish a connection it means a phone call to get the new IP address (it changes everytime the DSL needs to reconnect). Very inconvienient.

So anyway, my question.. can anyone compair PCAnyware with TS? Better speed or about the same?

TIA

Jerry

• 1 month later...

Anatoli--

SyncDeK manages synchronization at the field level. So, only changes in the same field are considered conflicts (by default).

Changes made in the same record are checked for field-level conflicts, and resolved based on your configuration: either merging data together, or one set of changes taking precedence based on timestamp, or centralized ownership, or distributed ownership. The process can be automated based on customizable rules or involve manual review by each record's "owner".

RE: So anyway, my question.. can anyone compair PCAnyware with TS? Better speed or about the same?

Those are two different technologies. PC Anywhere is just remote control over local PC.

TS are fast; in fact I do some of the programming over 64k ISDN line very comfortably.

Also you can have 10-40 remote clients hooked to single TS. For TS you need VLA license of FMP.

HTH

This topic is 7400 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.