Comparison: Dacons Mail It vs. SMTPit

SteveB

This topic is 7549 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• 2 months later...
  • Newbies

I'm sure this is too late for Steveinvegas but here's my two cents for future searchers...

I purchased mail.it after reading a few favorable comments on these forums. I tried using it on three different Windows systems (98, 2000, & XP) and each time I tried running one of their sample scripts, FileMaker would crash. Then I tried a script from scratch in the solution I was developing. Not only did the crashing continue, but the last straw was the script in the solution was truncated at a mail.it function. Can't say I had seen that one before. I didn't feel that my data could be trusted with this plug-in and decided this was enough.

I sent Dacons a tech support stating my problems and that I would like a refund on the software. After a few half-hearted tech support suggestions, Dacons finally replied there were no refunds on their products. I guess it's my fault that I didn't check their website with a magnifying glass for this important information. It should have been a clue when I discovered there is no telephone number available to contact them. According to their website "this allows the highest flexibility, quick turnaround times and enables Dacons to sell its powerful plug-ins at a moderate price." Gee, I guess all the books on successful business practices must be wrong. Boy, am I stupid...

Anyway, got a copy of SMTPit and had the sample scripts up and running in about five minutes. Had a complete script for my solution working in less than thirty minutes. And guess what? Comm-Unity has an actual phone number to contact them. Unbelievable! Any guesses what plug-in I would recommend?

But then again, I could be wrong...

I would second the Flying Dutchman

Although I have not tried mailit. I just know that community was very helpful in solving my setup problems.

Also, I was looking at their in-line html image feature, and I was hoping for maybe a "newsletter" type of example. Instead, it just told you how to insert in-line images into your html body. I was disappointed, but that may be the result of limited knowledge on html. Maybe someone can help :grin: ?

I agree with Flying Dutchman, Mailit2 does not work. Every time we try to send mail is Filemaker craching, we contacted Decons and they told us that they have never heard about this before!!!

So we have stoped using mailit2 and are now using SMTPit with very good result.

So DO NOT BUY mailit it does not work.

I have used both MailIt2 and SMTPit. I use MailIt2 regularly with no problems. I've never had to contacct Dacons about Mailit so I don't know how their support is with that product but I also use MenuControl by Dacons and have had quick responses with fixes when I had problems there.

The "no returns" policy is irrelevant. Pay with a credit card and get a charge back if it doesn't work.

my 2 cents.

Best,

Thomas

This topic is 7549 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.