Server Maintenance This Week. ×

should this work- remote access

Aussie John

This topic is 7521 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have set up a db as a multi user and is working fine across a local network. now I've caught a plane and am trying to access the file via my broadband, but i dont cant see the file in the "open remote" menu. (tried the ip option). Also I'm using the standard filemaker- not the server version

I can access the remote computer through normal afp.

Should this set up work or am I doing something obviously wrong.

Mac OS 10.2.6

filemaker 5.5 there

filemaker 6 here

thanks

Hi, AussieJohn! I don't know for sure, but you probably have to check the plug-in settings and make sure the REMOTE DATA ACCESS COMPANION is enabled and running for that db. FMP 5/6 can open each other's formats (although there are a couple things that only work in 6). The computer's AFP should not matter in this case as FileMaker is serving itself and will be accessed via the OPEN REMOTE or HOSTS button and not double-clicking directly.

That's my guess, anyway. You probbaly only have the LOCAL DATA ACCESS COMPANION enabled. You'll need the IP of the FMP machine... Server/Unlimited not needed for your use.

Hope this helps!

--ST

Hi, AJ! Actually, ask them to check the DB, too, not just the application.

With the db as the active window, go to FILE > SHARING... and make sure the DB is also SHARED using the REMOTE DATA ACCESS COMPANION. Maybe you should try checking by using a sample db on your laptop. Turn on the plug-in, share the db, give them your IP address and see if they can connect to you?

Good luck!

--ST

Actually, I wonder if you can do it for them... If they close the db, you can open the db from Apple File Sharing as the host. I'm not sure where db prefs are held, but they might be inthe db itself and not in your system. If so, then you can configure the db, close it, and then have them open it and then see what's up. If not, you can have them close the db and you can make a copy of it until you get back.

Here's hoping, anyway!

--ST

Hi AussieJohn,

Your ability to access the file via the 'remote host' option over the internet will also be dependent on what networking protocols are being used to host the files you're trying to access.

Make sure that the networking protocol that is selected in the Preferences>Application>General dialog is TCP/IP on all the machines that are accessing the files including the host and the machine you're using to remotely connect.

This topic is 7521 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.